This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Welcome back! Now that everyone is back to campus, we all probably have new or different living situations. And as we all know from those horrifying “bad roommate” stories,  these situations can get sticky. So far I have had a successful couple years with my roomies. Here are my five tips for living with roomates!

1) Pick your battles

Roommates will be messy. They will leave their dirty dishes in the sink. They will leave clothes on the floor. Food will be left out. And such comes with living with other people. Realize that every little thing that bothers you is not worth getting upset about. Simply, ignore it. If it is a reoccurring problem, you may feel you need to say something, but wait until it evolves into something life-interrupting; don’t blow up over a sock on the floor.

2) Have alone time

A quick way to get on each other’s nerves is to spend too much time with each other. You spend nearly every night together, and if you’re buddies with your roommates, you spend a lot of free time together, and that’s awesome! But sometimes, it is necessary for you to take some time to yourself. That way you can put your best face forward with your roomies, and you guys will be less frustrated.

3) Put yourself in their shoes

The roommate that was supposed to clean the bathroom may be having major boyfriend or school troubles. Although it is important for everybody to contribute to the chores, sometimes it is the last thing on your roommate’s mind. Be a friend to them, not a nagging mom. Instead of getting upset with them for failing to do their duties, consider why they are neglecting those responsibilities. More could be brewing below the surface than you might think.

4) Respect each other’s stuff

This should be a no-brainer, but it absolutely still happens. All you have to do is ask.​ Most of the time, nobody will be upset if you borrow a lemon or a top if you ask for permission first. You may raise eyebrows if you are walking around in someone’s shirt that they were planning to wear that week. Being respectful never hurt anyone.

5) Have family dinners

Okay, you don’t have to do this. But I think it’s super cute! We make sure to have family dinners at least once a week. We all gather around our dining room table and eat a meal together. This is a great way to catch up with your busy roommates and discuss bills and house matters altogether.

——-

Have a great year with your roomies! I wish you luck xx

Second Year Strategic Communications major at THE Ohio State University