halloween costumes enneagram types?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween costumes enneagram types?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Scott Yamano/NETFLIX © 2020

2022 Pop Culture Halloween Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner! In addition to it being time to break out the spooky skeletons and carved pumpkins, it is also time to stress about putting together the perfect costume. It can take weeks of planning, but, of course, the eve of Halloween is right around the corner so there is not a lot of time to put together a cute look. However, you are in luck with some of the most well-known characters and people from 2022 that are easy to dress up as and won’t leave people guessing what you are on Halloween.

1. Cassie or Maddie from Euphoria

Taking it back towards the beginning of the year, “Euphoria” was the tv show to watch. The beautiful cinematography, the acting (I mean who does not love Zendaya?), the makeup and costumes, the show had everyone wanting more. So, what better costume to go as than the two it girls of the show, Cassie and Maddie. Whether it be a duo costume, or just one or the other, Cassie and Maddie are two of the most well-known and iconic characters of the show. They have several iconic looks to go as. One of my favorite is their New Year’s Eve party looks. These outfits are easy to recreate, simply get a black cutout dress or a blue sparkly dress, some silver accessories and, of course, their iconic makeup looks and you are ready to party hard.

2. Eddie Munson

Everyone went crazy went “Stranger Things” season four came out over the summer. The hit Netflix series featured our favorite characters from past seasons, but also included some very lovable new ones. Eddie Munson was one of these new characters. With his guitar skills and love for DND, Eddie quickly became one of the fan favorites for the season. If you are looking for an easy costume to put together that everyone will know, this is the one. All you need is a Hellfire Club t-shirt, some black jeans, teased hair and sneakers. It is quick, simple, and sure to be a hit. 

3. Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift is currently breaking records with her new album “Midnights”. The album features a collection of songs she wrote over the course of her career that she never released, and people are raving about the release left and right. Two costume ideas can come from this album: one inspired by the album aesthetic with hints of blues and purples, and one with “Midnights” Taylor herself with a pair of orange pants and a blue top. Either route, if you are looking for a moment in the spotlight, Taylor Swift is the way to go. 

4. Bridgerton

“Bridgerton” was another well-loved Netflix series that had a new season released this year. Everyone loved seeing their favorite 1800s British family on the tv screen once again, and most are in agreement that the costumes, hair and makeup all looked even more stunning than the last season. If you are looking to be the diamond of the Halloween season, this is the costume for you. All you need is a long pink (or purple if you really want to embody Kate Sharma) dress, some flashy jewelry, a pair of long gloves and, of course, a sparkly tiara to top the look off. 

5. The Scarlet Wtich

Another great character to dress as this year is everyone’s favorite red witch, Wanda Maximoff. With the new Marvel movie “Doctor Stranger in the Multiverse of Madness” having been released this year, fans went crazy over the fact that Wanda is now a villain in the Marvel cinematic universe. Even better, you can easily make this into a duo costume with Doctor Strange as well to recreate some iconic scenes for a cool Insta photo. All you need for the costume is a red cape, red headpiece, a red faux leather top and some black jeans. 

6. Blake Lively

One of the most iconic looks of the year was made by the queen herself, Blake Lively, at the Met Gala this year. She looked stunning with a Statue of Liberty inspired gown. Surprisingly, the look is easy to recreate with a simple light blue dress, some blue matching gloves and some bronze spray paint. This costume is sure to stun the crowd and turn heads wherever you go. 

7. Margot Robbie in “Barbie”

If you are looking for a more humorous and colorful costume for Halloween, a great idea could be recreating Margo Robbie’s look on the set of the new movie “Barbie”, set to come out in 2023. Fans loved seeing her in the bright colors and roller skates. For the costume, think 80s with a pair of bright biker shorts, a leotard (preferably neon or tie-dye), some neon workout armbands and a pair of roller skates. Not to mention, roller skating on Halloween could definitely be one of the most fun things during the night.

8. Harry Styles

Harry had quite the year in 2022. With the release of his new album, starring and being featured in several movies and tons of performances, he is the “it” man of pop culture right now. If I had to recommend one of his iconic looks to recreate, I would have to say his giant, pink feathered coat look at Coachella this year takes the cake. He performed with Lizzo, also wearing a pink feathered outfit. This would be a cute look for a duos costume as well. All that would be needed is a pink feathered boa, pink shiny pants, a pink top and a microphone and the look would be complete!

Stressing about not having a Halloween costume is hard, especially if you want to dress as something people will be able to understand. Some of my favorite costumes I have done in the past are of pop culture references, especially the ones I took creative liberties on and added my own personal touch to. Adding your own personal touch to any of these costume ideas can take it to the next level and make you feel as if you are not just dressing up as something basic. Plus, these costumes are fun and affordable. So, that being said, make Halloween your night with one of these head-turning costume ideas.

Lexi is a psychology student at Ohio State University. When she isn't studying in the library for class or writing, she loves reading, music, playing with her two dogs that she claims are her babies, and running. She is from North Royalton, a suburb of Cleveland, and is excited to share her writing with everyone out there!