This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Have you ever found yourself in the mood to delve into some dad rock music but don’t know where to start? Or do you love dad rock and just want some new song recommendations? If you fall under either of these associated categories, I’ve got you covered!

Growing up, the time I spent bonding with my dad was not over a sport or creative activity; we were, and still are, lovers of listening to music. Like most kids who have connected with their dads through music, I attribute a hefty portion of my music taste to my dad. Some of our most frequently listened-to artists include Electric Light Orchestra (ELO), Fleetwood Mac, Hall & Oates, Billy Joel, Carly Simon, Sade, Wings and the Eagles.

My friends from home in Cincinnati are also the daughters of dads who bond with them through sharing music, and at almost every friend gathering hosted, you can guarantee some dad rock will be in the song queue.

At this point in my life, I consider myself decently seasoned in dad rock music. In the following list, I rank my top 15 favorite dad rock songs, some of which my dad introduced and others I’ve discovered in my own time.

“Baby I’m-a Want You” By Bread

If you’re looking for a mellow love song to listen to, “Baby I’m-a Want You” is perfect for you. The gentle, groovy guitar strumming and the head voice vocals are to die for. A 70s soft rock band from Los Angeles, California, Bread is known for their soft ballads. I recommend checking out another one of their hits, “Make It with You!”

“Riverside” By America

A folk/country rock song, “Riverside” is filled with harmonies and folky guitar strumming that scratches the right itch in your brain. Known for its hit “Ventura Highway” for harmonies that are just as satisfying, America is an iconic 70s British-American band. America’s songs are diverse in rock genres, ranging from soft to folk to pop to country. Check out “Sister Golden Hair” alongside “Riverside” if you’re into either folk or country rock!

“Cool Cat” By Queen

Aside from Queen’s classics like “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “Don’t Stop Me Now,” I’d have to say “Cool Cat” is one of my favorite Queen songs. As soon as you start the song, you can’t help but feel the groove. Plus, Freddie Mercury’s voice is incredible, as always. “Cool Cat” manages to set itself apart from the rest of Queen’s songs because it aligns more with the funk genre than their typical pop-rock genre.

“Cecilia” By Simon & Garfunkel

A playful folk-rock ballad, “Cecilia” will steal your heart like the rest of Simon & Garfunkel’s discography. The album this track is on, “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” is wonderful for when the cold weather starts moving in, and my dad and I absolutely love the rest of its tracks. A 1960s American folk rock duo, Simon & Garfunkel became friends in elementary school, going on to make their mark with various hits like “Mrs. Robinson.”

“Beast of Burden” By The Rolling Stones

I couldn’t write about dad rock if I didn’t mention at least one song by The Rolling Stones. “Beast of Burden” immediately draws you in with its blues guitar strum that calls for some head-bopping. Not to mention, the vocals are a little whiny, making the song that much more of a fun listen! If you like “Beast of Burden,” I also recommend listening to The Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and “Wild Horses.”

“Every Little Thing She Does is Magic” By The Police

The Police was one of the first dad rock artists I remember being introduced to by my dad, and they do not disappoint. “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic” is an enchanting and playful rock ballad that makes you want to twirl around in your room! An English rock band formed in the late 1970s, The Police has made a ton of other great songs like “Roxanne” and “Don’t Stand So Close to Me.”

“Arrow Through Me” By Wings

Of course, The Beatles, or at least one of the member’s solo careers or post-Beatles band, had to be brought up at some point. Paul McCartney’s Wings has to be one of my favorite things to come out of The Beatles breaking up, and I think my dad would agree. I love Wings’ upbeat rock ballads like “Silly Love Songs” and “She’s My Baby,” but “Arrow Through Me” hits different with McCartney’s longing, soulful voice and brassy instrumental intermissions.

“Fly Like An Eagle” By Steve Miller Band

This mellow, psychedelic song will make you feel like you’re floating in space in the best way possible. Formed in the 1960s, the Steve Miller Band is an American rock band from San Francisco, California with a rock discography ranging from blues to psychedelic to pop. Some other great songs from the “Fly Like An Eagle” album are “Rock’n Me” and “Take the Money and Run.”

“Young Lust” By Pink Floyd

If you’re a huge fan of Pink Floyd, you might be wondering how I didn’t include a song from “The Dark Side of the Moon,” but hear me out: if I’m listening to a dad rock song by Pink Floyd, I will go with “Young Lust” time and time again. As soon as the song begins, you’re hit with this wave of hard rock, and as you make your way to the chorus, arguably one of the best parts of the song, you’re overcome by the song’s sensuality. The electric guitar, especially the solo, in “Young Lust” makes it a truly amazing rock song. Some of my other favorite Pink Floyd songs include “Brain Damage” and “Wish You Were Here!”

“Rhiannon” By Fleetwood Mac

I’ve always held a special place in my heart for Fleetwood Mac (mostly by my dad’s doing), and when reflecting on their music, “Rhiannon” has one of the best dad rock vibes. A soft rock song with a sprinkle of blues rock, Stevie Nicks’ strong, raspy voice and the groovy, twinkling guitar make the song remarkably mystical. I could write a separate article on the best Fleetwood Mac songs, but to prevent my unnecessary yapping, you should check out some of the band’s lesser-known songs like “Sara” and “I Don’t Want to Know” (although it seems impossible for their songs to not be well-known).

“One of These Nights” by the Eagles

The Eagles is one of the quintessential dad rock bands of them all, emerging in the 1970s and still performing concerts to this day. “One of These Nights” has a blues and electric rock feel and amazing harmonies that call for busting a little move. Some other bangers from the band I’d recommend are “Lyin’ Eyes” and “Take It Easy,” both of which my dad and I love.

“If You Leave Me Now” By Chicago

My great aunt and uncle absolutely loved Chicago, having gone to several of the band’s concerts in their lifetime, and I’m starting to understand why. This soft rock song is one of a kind with its charming, passionate vocals and the instrumentals that soar throughout it. Chicago seems to maintain this theme with most of their songs, yet each song still manages to be distinguishable. If you’re into this kind of music, listen to “Beginnings” and “Hard to Say I’m Sorry / Get Away.”

“Only a Fool Would Say That” By Steely Dan

Steely Dan’s “Can’t Buy A Thrill” album is filled with hit after hit, and I’d be lying if I said “Only A Fool Would Say That” wasn’t one of them! With the groovy guitar, Latin/mambo feel and the band’s distinct vocals, this song sets itself up to be an impeccable dad rock song. This band is not for everyone’s music taste, but some of their other universally loved songs include “Dirty Work” and “Reelin’ In the Years.”

“I Can’t Go for That” by Daryl Hall & John Oates

Being a Hall & Oates enthusiast is in my genes, and although my dad might not say this is the duo’s best song, I’ll stick to saying it’s their best dad rock song. This enchanting song includes a funky guitar and soulful vocals that funnel perfectly into a playful and danceable chorus. Although Hall is suing Oates (and the two of them may not feel super friendly towards each other), that does not mean we shouldn’t appreciate their amazing songs like “She’s Gone” and “Kiss On My List.”

“Strange Magic” by Electric Light orchestra

My all-time favorite dad rock song would have to be “Strange Magic,” which I credit to my dad. ELO knew how to translate the song’s title to the music, making it truly magical with the soulful, psychedelic instrumentals and alluring vocals. This band was one that my dad and his older brother would bond over as they grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, and some of my favorite songs of the band would have to include “Telephone Line” and “Turn to Stone.”

As you can tell, I’m very passionate about dad rock, and I think you should be too. If you’re looking for an even more extensive combo of dad rock songs, check out my Spotify playlist I constantly update!

Originally from Cincinnati, Brooke Hoctor is in her second year at OSU studying Communication and Spanish. Her favorite things are romance books, romantic comedies, listening to music, doing word searches, spending time with friends and finding new coffee shops and food spots. She enjoys writing about entertainment, mental health, and relationships.