This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

“I know things look different this year but blah blah blah.” We’ve heard it a million times in the last eight months and this article is just the same. With that being said, you may not be feeling the Halloween spirit, even if it has always been one of your favorite holidays. Despite our favorite Halloween parties not being safe to attend (as in, don’t go to one that doesn’t consist of you and your roommates), it can still feel like the spookiest time of the year. Here are some ways to help you get there.

Listen to a spooky playlist

I don’t know about you, but I have a Spotify playlist titled “spooky szn” filled with an hour’s worth of my favorite Halloween themed songs perfect for getting you into the spirit. From “Calling All the Monsters” by China Anne McClain to “F**k Halloween” by Cody Ko, I can jam to songs that are basically anthems for the month of October.

Watch Halloween Movies

Ever heard of Ohio Union Activities Board’s (OUAB) Flicks for Free? Well, right now they’re in the middle of showing an entire week’s worth of Halloween themed movies! If you’re reading this on Tuesday, you’ve only missed one day of showings, but, don’t worry, there’s five more with two movies every day. Some of the titles include Us, Gremlins, It and It 2, and more. To check them out, go to ouab.osu.edu.

Still wear a costume

This is where I’m currently struggling, and I’m sure some of you are too. Finding a costume and actually wearing it on Saturday is the most obvious way to make it feel like it’s Halloween. It can be as simple as something you can find in your closet like a cartoon character’s outfit (my suitemate recently went as Marceline from Adventure Time) or buying something ready to wear that you buy online or at a physical store.

Dress up your pets

If you can’t dress up yourself or want someone to dress up with you, find some pet outfits! You can even match with your pet whether it be a dog, cat or your fish’s bowl. This is perfect if your pet is your only roommate too, so you won’t be alone in the festivities.

Eat some candy

Whether you crank on the oven to make some sweet treats or you just go buy some candy from the store, eat something Halloween themed this week. Check out Monday’s article written by our very own Jenna Culman for Halloween candies ranked so you know which are the best and which are the worst.

Hunt for Halloween decorated houses

Who said looking at decorated houses was just for Christmas time? Get in your car with a friend or two (once again, preferably your roommates) and try to find some houses with cool decorations outdoors. Bonus points if you find the nine-foot skeleton.

Decorate your own place

If you aren’t up for leaving your living space, decorate it! From jack-o-lantern and ghost fairy lights that my roommate has up to fake spider webs hanging down the wall, there are so many ways to spice up your space for the holiday. If your roommates don’t want to walk into a giant fake spider on the wall, decorating your own room will do the trick too.

Buy everyday Halloween apparel

Instagram got me. They showed me a PeachyWix tank top with a spooky CareBear on it and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since. Getting any clothes that have some traditional holiday insignia will show just how in the spirit you are leading up to Saturday.

Carve a pumpkin

If you can find a socially distanced-safe pumpkin patch in your area, get a pumpkin to carve. Although messy, this can turn into a fun competition with your roommates to see who made the best design.

Do spooky art

Last, but certainly not least, let your artistic abilities shine by doing some Halloween themed art. No matter what medium it is, have fun with it. It can even be one of your pieces of decoration in your house.

Class of 2023 English Creative Writing major with minors in Professional Writing and Fashion and Retail Studies from Norman, Oklahoma.