This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

As we reach the end of Women’s History Month, here are some amazing OSU alumni who have made their mark on the world; ranging from science to entertainment, they’ve all had an impact. 

Fun Fact: OSU was one of the first universities to offer courses in Women’s History!

• Sally Boysen
    • Sally Boysen is a world-renowned chimpanzee researcher and in 2002 was recognized by Discover magazine as one of the top 50 women scientists!
  • Carole Black
    • Carole Black was the former president and CEO of Lifetime Entertainment from 1999 to 2005. Throughout her career, she worked in many marketing positions for various companies such as Walt Disney and Time Warner Cable Inc. 
  • Jean Peters
    • OSU had a Hollywood star of its own through the 1940s-50s as Peters starred in several hit films, including Niagara (1953) alongside co-star Marilyn Monroe. In 1945, she also earned the title of Miss Ohio State after winning the university pageant. Perhaps her most impressive legacy, though, was her efforts toward resisting men who wished to turn her into a sex symbol. 
  • Eileen Heckart
    • Eileen Heckart was an actress whose career lasted an impressive 60 years! In 1972, Heckart won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her work in the movie Butterflies Are Free.
  • Reverend Dr. Barbara Reynolds
    • A star journalist of her time, Reynolds covered race riots in Cleveland throughout the period of civil unrest in the 1960s, earning a Nieman Fellowship at Harvard University in 1976. She later went on to serve as the Washington correspondent for The Chicago Tribune until 1980. 
  • Patricia Heaton
    • A staple of American sitcoms, Heaton starred in Everybody Loves Raymond as Debra Barone and Frankie Heck in The Middle.
  • Bertha Lamme
    • Lamme was the first woman to study Engineering at Ohio State. She was also the first woman in the nation to be awarded a degree as a mechanical engineer in Electrical Engineering. Her accomplishments have paved the way for women in STEM throughout history.
  • Alice Hohlmayer
    • Alice was a pitcher for All-American Girls Professional Baseball from 1946 to 1951. She is displayed in the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum 
    • in the Women’s Hall of Fame.
  • Nancy J. Currie-Gregg
    • Both an engineer and a U.S. Army Officer, she became a NASA astronaut where she spent over 1,000 hours in space. She now works as a professor at Texas A&M University.
  • Reynelda Muse
    • In addition to being the first African American television news anchor in Colorado, Muse was part of the first group of CNN anchors in 1980. She went on to win an Emmy award for writing and reporting the documentary Ramses eight years later (and three other Emmy nominations for the rest of her career).
Originally from Cincinnati, Brooke Hoctor is in her second year at OSU studying Communication and Spanish. Her favorite things are romance books, romantic comedies, listening to music, doing word searches, spending time with friends and finding new coffee shops and food spots. She enjoys writing about entertainment, mental health, and relationships.
I am a sophomore at Ohio State University pursuing a degree in English and I am interested in the LGBTQ college experience, as well as the transfer college experience.
Hi, I'm Maddy! I am a second year at Ohio State University studying Strategic Communications and Psychology. Aside from being a writer and TikTok director for Her Campus, I am also the social media director for Media Literacy Club and a member of Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). In my free time, I dance with a group on campus called Studio Dance. I am also a member of Alpha Chi Omega!
Michelle Wang is an Ohio State pre-law student majoring in Criminology and History. Beyond academics, her interests include creative writing, Wushu, Korean- and Mandopop and all things history (with a particular fondness for Tudor England). She hopes to share her love for writing in all its mediums!