This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

The University of Oregon announced today that our Winter term will remain remote, meaning more time staring at your computer screen, more confusion of what is happening in your classes, and more stir craziness. I was not shocked by the announcement. The COVID-19 pandemic is still in full force, and it is not going away anytime soon. The University is making the safest choice for the students and the staffs’ well-being. But, we can also still acknowledge that Zoom University, well… it sucks.

I always thought of myself as an independent learner and never struggled with a lack of motivation. Well, I was wrong. This fall term has really tested me, and it is only week three.

I talked about my lack of motivation this term with my roommates, and they all shared that they are too struggling with the same feelings. “I am used to going on campus and getting all of my work done and then coming home to relax and have fun with my roommates,” said my roommate Maddie, “But now, there is no separation between my work environment and my relaxed, fun environment… IT IS ALL THE SAME ENVIRONMENT!” I couldn’t help but agree with her. With zoom university, there is no separation of environments. As students, we go from staring at a computer screen during class to then staring at a computer screen to do our homework, to then staring at a computer screen to wind down and watch Netflix. I am even staring at a computer screen right now to write this article.

Along with the screen enforced headaches, it seems that none of us even know why we are staring at the computer screen in the first place. Learning virtually is basically equivalent to teaching yourself. Never before in my life did I ever think that I would miss walking into those sweaty and humid campus buildings to sit down next to some stranger fighting over the armrest. While I know that the Professors are trying their best at this virtual learning game, nothing will ever be as good as in-person education.

Even after a long day of zoom classes and studying, I find myself itching to get out of my house; I find myself itching for some fresh air. This goes back to the lack of separation in environments. Our whole lives revolve in one house now, whereas before, we had our school life on campus, our homework like in the library or the EMU, and our home life at home. But now, everything is at home. Throughout the day, I find myself switching spots in my house from my room to the kitchen to the living room to get some change of scenery.

There are many cons to zoom university, but I guess that the one pro in my eyes is that it keeps everyone safe. My senior year may not be my ideal college senior year, and I may be going absolutely stir crazy at home, but the ultimate idea is to keep everyone safe. I know this whole article was a rant but, if there was one thing, I want to say, it is remembering to wear a mask and stay safe!

Hello my name is Michelle Lundahl and I am studying Public Relations and Legal Studies at the University of Oregon. I love to write and share my random thoughts and opinions, so I thought Her Campus would be the perfect platform. I hope that the readers are able to gain something from my writing each week, and to overall enjoy! Thank you for reading!
The official Her Campus Oregon account