Your Winter Break Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Winter break is a time for celebrating the holidays, reconnecting with friends and family, and taking a break from school. And even though it is super easy to make excuses for not making it to the gym – or for a run in below freezing weather – it is not an excuse to skip your workouts all break.

Exercising will help improve your mood, battle anxiety or any stress that may come along with the holidays, as well as help balance out that eggnog latte and cookies. I developed this workout in time intervals, so you can tailor it to your fitness level. No equipment is needed and you will get a good cardio and weight bearing exercise throughout this entire workout!

It’s only 26 minutes, but I swear it will kick your butt!                   

Jog in Place – 1 Minute

Jumping Jacks 1 Minute

Squats – 1 Minute
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and arms by your sides. Squat down so thighs are parallel to floor. Keep weight in your heels, chest up and back flat. Squeeze your butt as you come up. Lower back into your squat and repeat.

Alternating Lunges – 1 Minute
In standing position, step your right foot forward and lower at the hips, bending both legs. Make sure knee doesn’t go farther forward then your toes. Come back to standing and switch sides.

Pushups – 1 minute

March – 1 Minute

Burpees – 30 Seconds
Start in push up position. Jump both feet in towards the hands. Jump up in the air return to squat position and jump back to starting position. Repeat.

Plank – 1 Minute
Start in push up position with hands under your shoulders. Hold the position, keeping core engaged and weight over your shoulders the entire time.

Alternating Lunges – 2 Minutes

Crunches  – 1 Minute

High Knee Run – 30 Seconds

Recover – 1 Minute

Plank Walks – 1 Minute
Start in the plank position with abs tight. Bend one arm to bring the elbow and forearm to the floor and bring other arm down. Push back up to start position and repeat on other side.

Crunches – 1 Minute

Split Jumps – 30 Seconds
Stand with one foot in front of the other in a lunge position. Jump high and switch legs.

March – 1 Minute

Plie Squats – 1 Minute
Begin in a wide stance with toes out at a comfortable angle. Bend the knees and lower down into a squat, keeping knees in line with toes, abs contracted and back straight. Push back to start without locking the knees.

Pushups – 30 Seconds

Knee Tucks  – 30 Seconds
Start in push-up position. Jump both feet up towards your hands, keeping back flat and abs tight.

Side Plank – 1 Minute (30 Second each side)

Toe Touches – 1 Minute
Lie on your back holding your hands and legs straight up in the air. Using your abs, reach your hands towards your toes. Return to start position and repeat.

Mountain Climbers – 30 Seconds
Start in push up position, with your back flat, hips low and weight over your shoulders. Jump one foot up toward your hands, keeping your knee between your arms. Swap your feet back and forward as fast as you can without losing form.

Bicycles – 1 Minute
Lie on your back with fingers locked behind your head and elbows away from ears. Crunch the shoulder blades off the floor. Twist through the upper body and bend on leg to touch your elbow to the opposite knee. Repeat on the other side.

Hip Lifts – 1 Minute
Lie on your back with knees bent over and heels below your knees. Lift your hips as high as you can, squeezing your butt. Lower and repeat.

Crunch – 1 Minute

Pretzel Stretch – 1 Minute (30 Seconds each leg)
Lie on your back and bring your left foot to your right knee. Bring both legs towards your chest, reaching the left hand between the legs to interlock fingers behind the right leg. Switch sides halfway through your time.

Lower Back stretch – 1 Minute (30 Seconds each side)
Lie on your back with one leg straight and the other raised with bent knee. Bring the raised leg over to one side until it touches the floor, keeping shoulders on the ground if you can. Switch sides halfway through your time.

Total: 26 Minutes

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter