Women Defying Gravity: UO Acrobatics & Tumbling Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Walking around campus you see many different types of backpacks clinging to the backs of many students, but some are held to a much higher prestige than others: the UO athletic backpacks. We’ve all done it: awkwardly getting closer to campus celebs (a.k.a. athletes) to try and figure out what team they’re on. Most people at the UO probably think of football as our most powerful athletic program on campus, but many do not know of the success brought from the women’s Acrobatics and Tumbling team.

The Acrobatics and Tumbling team is a women’s sport on campus. It combines elements of competitive cheerleading, gymnastics, stunting or acrobatics, and dance. The competitions, or meets, are set up like gymnastic meets with multiple events focusing on different skills. Among these are the compulsories, tumbling compulsory, acro, pyramid, toss, tumbling, and the team routine. The format of the meet probably seems a little bit complicated, but if you want to see athletes who truly defy gravity, Acrobatics and Tumbling meets are the events for you.

The Acrobatics and Tumbling team is currently 3-0 and had their first home meet February 17 at Matt Knight Arena. The Ducks went head-to-head against Azusa Pacific University and Quinnipiac. The Ducks came out victorious with a score of 285.3 ahead of APU with 280.73 and Quinnipiac with 274.62.

Sunday March 3rd the ducks will be hosting a meet against Baylor University at 1pm.

So if you’re not busy this Sunday afternoon walk on over to Matt Knight arena, find yourself a seat, and watch one of the most athletic and successful teams on campus. You’re guaranteed to leave in awe.

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter