absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Eating Healthy Can Be Simple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

There is no doubt that eating a healthier diet is challenging, especially in college. But, that does not mean it is not possible or enjoyable. Throughout my college years I have changed the way I have eaten and it has made such a huge impact on my health, mood and body. As a freshman, of course I ate like crap being surrounded by greasy food, endless sweets and fattening meals at every dining hall. I would often crave unhealthy meals even though the dining halls did offer some healthy options, so I would result to pizza, a burger or an oversized burrito. I thought, “okay it’s not that bad, I don’t eat this that often,” but I did. Even though I exercised 6 times a week and was very active, my body felt tired and gross after eating like this constantly. Your environment definitely plays a role in how you are influenced by food because if you are surrounded by endless unhealthy snacks that everyone else is eating, then you’ll want to do the same.

Once I moved into an apartment off campus, grocery shopping was my thing. For some odd reason, I loved being able to go buy my own food. But at first I had a hard time because I wanted to buy the same foods I ate freshman year in the dorms, but realized it was not good for me and now I was in control of what to buy. And don’t get me wrong here–the dorms do offer healthy options, I just had no willpower to make healthy decisions.

Fast forward to now. I am a senior in college who has multiple food allergies (ugh!) so eating has played a significant role in my life lately. I was forced to change my diet in the past 6 months because I became allergic to gluten, dairy, and practically everything else unhealthy for me. After buying only healthy options at the grocery store and avoiding the aisles that read “cookies, chips, and candy,” I realized that if I don’t buy these items (even GF chips or cookies), I obviously won’t be tempted to eat them if they are not sitting in my pantry.  

I knew it was okay to splurge and have dessert or that hamburger when I wanted it, but eating in moderation has really been important in my life. After making this change, I feel better, have more energy and don’t crave greasy or fatty foods as much. Though this is just my experience, I have friends who also eat healthier now and feel way better. I know people who went vegan, vegetarian, paleo, or who simply decided to have 1-2 cheat meals a week. Whatever works for you, do it because listening to your body is the most important thing.

Eating healthy may be a challenge but there are so many yummy and nutritious snacks/meals out there that taste amazing. It does not mean you have to eat kale for breakfast, lunch and dinner or eat small portions for you meals. Eating healthy can mean simply adding more greens into your meals or eating less fried food during the week. It does not have to be scary or a negative experience; it can be a simple change in your life. 

There is no right way to do things because eating healthy and fueling your body means something completely different for everyone. Eating healthy is not so scary when you are in control and have the power to make positive changes for your overall health.

Hi! I'm Hailey. I am a senior at the Unviersity of Oregon studying Advertising. I am a workout nut and a Certified Personal Trainer at our campus REC center. In my free time you can find me outside, either hiking, biking or exercising. I am also completley obsessed with the fashion industry and will hopefully be going into Fashion Merchandising and Marketing in the near future. 
The official Her Campus Oregon account