Where to Go for Date Night in Eugene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Date night. The best night of the week. The night where you can take as long as you’d like to get ready, plan out for days, create (a.k.a. buy!) a great new outfit, and maybe even get a free dinner.

Yes, collegiettes, although date nights may be far and few between for some us, they are always a good time. Or at least, in theory.

It is, of course, preferable if you have a cute special someone to think about. If you don’t, meeting someone new or tentatively investing emotions in said someone can be daunting. However, it can also be mega rewarding. My theory is that if you have to kiss a few frogs along the way to meeting your prince, you might as well be doing cool things that you yourself would want to do anyway.

Since date night can vary greatly depending on whether or not you’re 21, most of these ideas are best suited to of-age couples.

For your weekend pleasure, I present to you a selection of what I think (or know!) would be a rewarding night spent with your current beau in our fair town of Eugene.

For 21-ers

Ninkasi Brewery and Izakaya Meiji’s
Ninkasi is one of Eugene’s best local brews, so why not get to know this local celebrity in its own tasting room in Eugene’s quintessential Whitaker neighborhood? The beer is fantastic and the food is divine, so you know your date will be pleased. Once Ninkasi closes its doors, trot over to the latest late-night darling, Izakaya Meiji’s Japanese Whiskey Bar. The mood is low-key upscale with a killer happy hour and a menu to match whatever your taste buds crave. Your date will dig the great food and you’ll get to take advantage of some delicious local business.

Sushi Station/Cornucopia and David Minor Theater
There are so many great restaurants right on 5th Street. Craving burgers and beer? Head to Cornucopia, which boasts the best burger in Eugene. Sushi more your style? Sushi Station has a nifty conveyor belt to stare at. Once you’ve had dinner, walk across the street to the awesomeness that is the David Minor Theater. You and your date can watch the movie you always wanted to see in theaters on a snuggle-friendly couch while sipping another beer. If you want to get really fancy, you can even order in your dinner from Cornucopia. Who ever said being spoiled is a bad thing?

Bijou and The Bier Stein
I went on a really great date while I was home for winter break and saw an interesting indie film. If you or your date is a film aficionado, why not plan to see something really lovely like the Lars Von Trier at the Bijou Theater? If you were hoping to do a little pre-funking, get thee to the Bier Stein, where you can get snobby about Belgium and Hops while sipping delicious brew in a cozy setting. You guys will be able to name-drop like champs.

Papa’s Soul Food to Sam Bond’s Garage
Everyone needs to experience classic Eugene Whitaker at least once. If you haven’t been to Papa’s Soul Food yet, you have been sorely missing out on some dankness. Papa’s does it right with just about all of their Southern cuisine. Your date will probably start drooling as soon as you walk in the door, and you will only possibly regret wearing your skinny jeans.  If you can still move after Papa’s, see who’s playing at Sam Bond’s Garage. It’s a really great place to see live music and sip beer from mason jars, and come on, we all love that.

Agate Alley Bistro to Prince Puckler’s (or vice-versa)
Ah, Agate Alley Bistro. How I love your wine-bottle water jugs, your bizarre fountain-girl in the corner, your out-of-control mac and cheese,  the random dubstep and live shows that you sometimes feature, and of course your outrageously good cocktails. Agate Alley is a great place to sip and chatter while looking seriously hot. Seriously, they have great mood lighting. Drinks and dinner are always a good bet, but if you decide to meet up earlier you can always go to Prince Puckler’s across the street.

The Vintage
This place cannot get any cuter, although it would be rad if it got just a little bit bigger. With delicious cocktails and the best atmosphere in Eugene, if you aren’t already in love with your date, you will be. Use with caution. Get the cocktail with the poprocks on it… they’re delicious!

Group Date – Diablo’s Funk Night to the McDonald to the Barmuda Triangle
This, my friends, is a fantastic barcrawl. I don’t know if it’s just a summer thing or if it doesn’t even happen anymore, but if you hear about Funk Night at the creepy DownTown Lounge, a.k.a. Diablo’s, a.k.a. that creepy bar next to the Greyhound station, by all means GO. With the proper date and mix of adventure-seeking companions, this night can be a great time. The bar has well-priced specials and a KILLER live funk jam session. Even if you don’t like to dance, you can’t help but watch the spectacle and move to the beat. Watch out for the bongo-player… he likes to let loose. Once you’ve grooved into your comfort zone, slither your way through the alleys of Eugene (again, big group here) to catch a show at the McDonald theater. This is always a good time if you pay attention to the show listings. If you, your date, and your group are STILL down to party after the show, meander over to the Barmuda Triangle for whatever bars are still open. The Horsehead is a great place to relax while waiting for your taxi to pick you up.  Bonus points for whoever rallies to Voodoo Donuts.
[pagebreak]

For all ages

Bike Ride Lincoln Street Cornucopia to Sweet Life
Weather permitting, hop on a bicycle and make the trip out to the Lincoln street Cornucopia- trust me, you won’t regret it. The place has the cozy, smoky feeling of an old English tavern, the colorfulness found only in Eugene,  and the most amazing burgers. If you’re 21, you can get a delicious framboise lambec on tap- TRUST ME- try it.  After lunch, cruise on through the quirky-cool old neighborhoods to Sweet Life Patisserie, which every girl in Eugene KNOWS to be rad. Who hasn’t devoured a black-bottom cupcake? A nipple of venus? CAKE? You want to go here, your date wants to go here, it’s a win-win. Good luck biking back home after that.

The Pump
Ever been to The Pump? No? Well, I’ll probably get skewered for leaking this on the internet, but The Pump is the best breakfast in the Eugene/Springfield area. No questions asked. I’ll say this:  amazing bacon and perfect coffee. I won’t say exactly where it is, but it isn’t in Eugene while remaining outrageously close to campus. If you have the occasion to catch breakfast with your date, go here.

Not Your Mom’s Sandwich Shop to Skinner’s Butte
Fancy a picnic? Or maybe just a cool hang out with some snacks? Grab lunch to-go from the rad new Not Your Mama’s Sandwich Shop, which is out-of-control delicious. Their sandwiches are simple, straightforward, and honestly scrumptious. Once you’ve packed up, climb up (or drive, if you know, you’re like me and you’re lazy) Skinner’s Butte. There are several places to choose from for a picnic spot, but I would recommend the giant E for Eugene.

And Just Because…

Target
If you happen to have a car and your date does not, I think it can be super fun to go to a place that everyone loves with stuff that everyone needs. Target is one of those great places. I recommend the store WAY out on west 11th  via west 18th.   Does your date need a new lock for his bike? Detergent? A George Foreman grill perhaps? Maybe even all you need are some trash bags, but a sexy dude companion on such a trip can be really fun and laid-back escapade. Heck, maybe this is just you and your hot neighbor on a much-needed “errand” run.  After securing the booty, buy some cheap wine and high-tail it back to our side of town.  Be sure to bump some tunes for the drive.
Remember ladies, men are lucky to date hot women like us. The least they can do is put a nice shirt on and woo our socks off. Just be nice and go dutch. Sometimes. And be responsible – get a taxi, for heaven’s sake.

Happy Weekend!

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter