What’s New In Entertainment News?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Why do we believe that catastrophes happen in threes? This is especially true when it comes to celebrity deaths. Michael Jackson’s death in June was coupled with the deaths of Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcett in the same week, and revived the belief that many celebrity deaths, plane crashes and other catastrophes come in threes. But is that really true? Or do we just wait for another death to occur? If Michael Jackson hadn’t died, then we would have simply waited for another celebrity to die.

The world dealt with the passing of the iconic and legendary singer Whitney Houston, age 48, on February 11, 2012, and social media sites are still reeling because of it. But that wasn’t the only entertainment news to hit the stands in the past few weeks, although it has quickly surpassed all other stories. Houston was recently honored by Adele at the Grammy Awards and her videos, When You Believe and I Will Always Love You, have jumped in views on Youtube.

Besides the horrifically sad death of Whitney Houston, there were other surprising stories.

Heidi Klum & Seal

Heidi Klum and Seal tied the knot on a Mexico beach in May 2005 and are famous for renewing their wedding vows every year. Unfortunately for the tattooed pair, they have called it quits after seven years of marriage and now have to look at the daily ink reminders of their marriage. Heidi attended an AmfAR event earlier this week with Seals name prominently tattooed on her forearm. On the gossip side, it is rumored that Seal’s hot temper combined with their careers taking them in different directions were the third party involved in the split.

Beyonce Bump

February 7th Beyonce made her first public appearance, since the birth of Blue Ivy Carter last month, at Jay-Z’s first gig at Carnegie Hall. Jay-Z filled the Stern Auditorium for the first of two benefit concerts for the Shawn Carter Scholarship Foundation. But Beyonce stole some of the spotlight in her gorgeous and sophisticated look; it’s unbelievable that she gave birth to her daughter in early January. Jay-Z and Beyonce met and started dating in 2002; they were married in 2005 and have had a cute and beautiful relationship. Personally, I’ve always loved seeing the two of them and I can’t help dancing to “Love on Top.”

Adele triumphs at Grammys
For those of you who didn’t watch the Grammy Awards (I’m assuming I was one of the few), some big awards were given out that night. In her return to music’s stage on Sunday, Adele scooped up six Grammys and won every category in which she was nominated, including Album of the Year for “21” and best record with “Rolling in the Deep.” The 23-year-old, who has taken the music world by storm (I personally am a HUGE fan), underwent surgery on her vocal cords late last year and has been resting her voice since then. I welcome her back to the stage and cannot wait to sing her lyrics a little too loudly driving around in my car. Congrats Adele!

Tiana Bouma is a senior double majoring in Journalism with a focus on magazine and Political Science. She has completed her Business Administration minor.  Bouma’s hometown is now Bend, Oregon but she graduated high school in Danville, California. Bouma has been writing, photographing, and editing for Her Campus since April 2011. but this is her first term as a Branch Manager. After graduation Bouma plans on traveling as much as she can and working for magazines such as National Geographic or a travel magazine. During her spare time, Bouma enjoys music, reading, sports, and movies.  Every moment is a new adventure and she plans to enjoy all of them.