Walk This Way: The Most Common Shoes Around Campus This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

It’s a fact: girls love shoes. We will change our minds numerous times in the morning trying to perfect our outfit, making sure that if it rains (as it has been lately), we won’t spend the rest of the day sloshing around in falsely advertised “waterproof” boots. We are also experts at convincing ourselves that those $100 stilettos are totally going to be worth using our ”emergency” credit card.

When we’re in the store, how do we decide which pair of shoes to buy? Is it more about the price or the designer? After all, most of us are frugal college students dressing on a dime. Are we willing to spend a night wearing the cutest or sexiest pair of heels that also make us feel like we’re walking on rocks? Apparently so.

Here are the top five shoes girls are wearing around campus:

1. Heels: It seems like the majority of heel-wearers on campus are international students. Maybe they don’t notice the cobblestones, but some of us feel like we would trip and break our necks if we wore these on anything but a dance floor. The trick is finding a heel that isn’t as skinny as a toothpick. It helps with not only keeping your balance, but keeping your feet happy as well. DSW Shoe Warehouse, located at the Oakway Center, offers designer shoes at frugal fashionista prices, and Charlotte Russe (at the Valley River Center) is also a go-to store.

2. Vans: Comfort is key here. You can find Vans almost anywhere shoes are sold. They come in a variety of different colors, won’t break the bank, and the best part is socks aren’t required. “I love my Vans,” Carrie Stewart, a psychology major, says. “They feel like a slipper on my foot! I get compliments on them all the time, so for me, spending a little bit more on them is so worth it.” Airwalk’s slip-ons (shown above), a popular choice around campus, are similar, but are just as comfortable. My favorite pair is the Eazy Laceless Sneaker, which are a bit softer on the inside than what Vans offer. As far as I can tell, the only real difference between Vans and Airwalks is price. Vans start at around $35 and up, while Airwalks start at $16. Head on over to Journeys at VRC or Payless ShoeSource at Gateway for these comfy kickers.

3. Ballet Flats: I don’t see flats ever going out of style. They go with any outfit, are affordable, and won’t make you wish you had worn different shoes. Flats are a staple of any girl’s closet. Over the years, you might have to recycle them to buy new ones, but they’re pretty much a good pair of shoes to have around at all times. Wear them with dressy outfits, during the weekend, around campus – the possibilities are endless. Knotted flats are everywhere, as are Scrunch ballet flats, but the beauty of these shoes is that you can’t go wrong with the style you choose. Just make sure you wear them around the store for a bit before committing to buying. Payless ShoeSource and Target always have good deals on flats, so check there before any department stores.

4. Flip-Flops: Yes, it is still spring, but summer will soon be upon us, and flip-flops are making an entrance again. Step into something new, and go with a fun color like turquoise, hot pink, or something summery and bright like yellow. Old Navy always has $1 flip-flops right before the summer months, so stock up!

5. Walking/Running shoes: Collegiettes™, wear these when going for a run, for any physical fitness class, or just for comfort. After all, UO is a large campus. “I like to be comfortable, yet stylish at the same time. Nike shoes always fit me perfectly. They have awesome colors and so many different styles to choose from,” says Alandra Bailey, an elementary education major. Check out REI, Kohl’s, or Nike to get your run on.

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter