Valentine’s Day Special: Sweet Life Patisserie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Valentines Day is filled with love, red and pink hearts, conversation candies, bouquets of rozens, and of course….Chocolate! Lots and lots of chocoalte. Whether spending the day with your special someone or swinging the holiday solo, Sweet Life Patisserie is the perfect place to satisfy your chocolate craving on the holliday of love

Sweet Life Patisserie is probably one of my favorite food places in Eugene. It is a local bakery and pastry shop in Eugene, only a couple of blocks off campus (755 Monroe Street). Their desserts are some of the best I have ever had. I am not even ashamed to admit that just last week, I went twice. Sweet Life prides themselves on using local, organic ingredients and makes everything from scratch. Their desserts range  from crème brulee and cannoli to cheesecakes and pie, along with monthly specials that use seasonal ingredients. This month’s specials range from Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake to Raspberry Velvet Cupcakes.

Walking in, your senses are assaulted with sugary goodness. A large glass case is filled tight with beautifully displayed cakes and small individual pastries. Although walking in can be a little overwhelming with the amount of options, it is definitely worth the decision making. If you have a sweet tooth, Sweet Life is  the place to get your sugar fix.

I have tried a variety of pastries including the the black bottom cupcake, cheesecake, ice-cream, and croissants. However, the stars of the bakery are the specialty cakes. Although a little pricey at $4.50 a slice, the slices are huge and each different cake or torte has a unique combination. Every single one I have tried has been amazing. The actual cake part is always extremely moist and the multiple frostings and buttercreams are decadent and rich. I love how elegant and complex the flavors are. My favorite have been the Chocolate Orgasm Orange Cake and Chocoalte Truffle Torte. Here are Sweet Life’s description of the two:

Chocolate Orgasm: Orange-scented chocolate cake, chocolate mousse and vanilla custard filling, blood orange-infused French vanilla buttercream on top, with ganache on the sides

Chocolate Truffle Torte: Our most decadent chocolate dessert is this flourless, rich torte topped with chocolate mousse & a topping of your choice

Sweet life needs to be on your Eugene Food To-do list. With a cozy atmosphere, friendly service, and amazing chocolate creations, it is the perfect place to indulge in. They also have gluten-free options. Visit Sweet Life this Valentines Day for an extra special treat!

Rachel is a Junior at the University of Oregon studying Journalism, Advertising, and English. She is on the writing team for HCO. She aspires to become an editor of a fashion magazine, a food writer, or creative strategist at an advertising firm. Rachel has always loved the freedom of writing and loves all things creative, makeup, fashion, food and Art History. When not studying for school, she enjoys the beach, traveling, dancing, and eating Nutella.