UO Cheer Stuntman Austin Parr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Here at the University of Oregon, we take our school spirit very seriously. I think it is safe to say that in Eugene, we love our Ducks! This week, Her Campus Oregon got to talk to Austin Parr! He’s been on the University of Oregon Cheer/Stunt Team for three years and just by talking to him we can tell he’s a true Duck, inside and out!

Name: Austin Parr
Age: 22
Hometown: Portland, Oregon

Q: We know you have school spirit, what all are you involved in on campus?
A: “I’ve been involved with the University of Oregon Cheer Team for three years. I’m also involved with the Outdoor Program on campus and play different intramural sports. I also work on campus, both at the Student Rec Center and I have an internship with the University of Oregon Athletic Department.”

Q: Wow that sounds like it keeps you busy! So, why did you decide to come to the University of Oregon?
A: “A lot of my family has actually gone here. I also thought that the style and the atmosphere really fit my personality.”

Q: How did you become a part of the Cheer Team?
A: “I actually got involved through a friend. He convinced me to try out three years ago and I made the team and have been on it ever since.”

Q: What do you like best about the Cheer Team?
A: “There are a lot of things I like about it. I like supporting the school, going to all the games, traveling, making connections with others, and definitely working with the team.”

Q: What is your favorite sport to cheer for?
A: “I like supporting all of the different sports. Volleyball is actually really fun because they are really good! I think I would have to say the football games are my favorite though. There is just so much energy at Autzen that it makes it really fun.”

Q: We know how great those football games are! What other sports or hobbies do you like doing during your free time?
A: “I really like to be active and be outdoors. I like to ride my motorcycle. I also like working out, rock climbing, snowboarding, backpacking, and those kinds of things. And just being social and hanging out with friends is always really fun.”

Q: What would you tell someone that wants to get involved on the Oregon Cheer Team?
A:  “I would say that it is a lot of fun. It is really rewarding, but a lot of work. Even though it takes a lot though, it is definitely worth it because you get a lot out of it. And come talk to me if you’re interested!”

Q: What has been your favorite college memory so far?
A: “Hmm, that’s a tough one… probably, going to the BCS National Championship last year.  It was amazing and something that not a normal college student gets to do. I think my favorite memories are the things you would remember 50 years from now.”

Q: Do you know what your plans are for after you graduate college?
A: “Right now I am just going to see where my internship takes me and hopefully carry that out into a possible full time job. For right after I graduate though, I am going to work at the BMW Motorcycle dealership, here in Eugene.”

Q: That all sounds really great. But ok, here’s the question that we all want to know…Who can do more push-ups, you or Puddles?
A: “Oh wow, that’s not even a question…ME! But I will give him some credit; the suit is very limiting so he can’t have good technique, especially with how many he has to do.”

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter