UO Cheer: Emma Haworth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Age: 19
Hometown: Eugene, OR
Year: Sophomore

HCUO: What’s your major?
Elementary Education.

HCUO: How long have you cheered?
I have been cheering for five years; this is my first year on the team at Oregon.

HCUO: How did you get started with cheer?
Growing up I had always had a fascination with cheer, and going into high school I wasn’t involved in any other sports, so it was just kind of a natural choice for me to get involved with cheerleading.

HCUO: What is your favorite part about the Oregon cheer team?
Just getting the opportunity alone, to be apart of the cheer program at Oregon, is really my favorite part. I love everything about it. I’m just thankful that I get to continue doing what I love to do.

HCUO: What is your favorite sport to cheer for and why?
I would have to say that football is my favorite sport to cheer for, especially here at Oregon. The feeling of being down there on the field and running out with the players is indescribable – a feeling I’ll never forget.

HCUO: What other sports or hobbies do you do in your free time? Are you involved in anything else on campus?
Well, when I get free time, I love to just relax with friends and family. Anything outdoors; being out on the river fishing and listening to some country music with my boyfriend is a perfect day! I also love to scrapbook and make handmade cards for birthdays.

HCUO: How intense is the audition process?
The tryout process for the cheer team is pretty intense. It’s a three-day tryout, with over 100 girls showing up on the first day. You stunt, learn a dance, perform your own dance, and then finish with an interview with the panel of judges. Cuts are made every night and then on the final night they announce the team!

HCUO: What is your best college memory so far?
This past spring break I went on my second mission trip to Mexico. We spent about a week there building houses for several families in need and also do VBS for the local kids. I feel like I learned a lot more and appreciated the experience more the second time than the first. So, that’s probably one of my favorite college memories. Also the final night of tryouts this past April – hearing my number get called!

HCUO: What are your plans for after college?
Ideally after college I’d like to be teaching, or some profession where I get to help others. Just living a happy life that I love!

Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.