This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

With Thanksgiving this week and Christmas right around the corner, I am so excited for this upcoming Holiday season! Although Thanksgiving is known for its traditional foods (like turkey, ham, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, mashed potatoes, and buttery biscuits), that doesn’t mean vegans can’t enjoy this food-filled holiday. I’ve prepared this ultimate vegan Thanksgiving guide with plenty of alternatives and delicious recipes to make for a lovely holiday gathering that will fulfill your wholesome plant-based cooking needs.

2 Vegan Thanksgiving Appetizers 

Veggies & Hummus – Having a large bowl of colorful veggies paired with your favorite flavor of hummus is a perfect appetizer for a group gathering before the main course of a meal. Hope Foods gives you a list of their top 10 vegetables to eat with hummus to create a variety of snack options to munch on. 

•  Vegan Spinach Dip – Spinach and artichoke dip has always been one of my favorite appetizers for gatherings, but since I’ve been vegan I’ve avoided this classic dip because it’s usually filled with loads of cheese, sour cream, and mayo. It’s basically a vegan and lactose-intolerant nightmare, but this particular recipe I found from cookbook author Kathy Patalsky is a healthier alternative that’s super easy to make and is just as tasty. Serve this vegan-friendly spinach dip with baked bread or whole wheat crackers and you will have a tasty appetizer that will make people want to keep coming back for more. 

2 Vegan Thanksgiving Main Dishes 

Savory Stuffed Turk’y –  You can save a couple of turkeys this year, while still getting the Thanksgiving turkey experience by heating up a savory stuffed turk’y from Gardein that is ready to be sliced and served with packs of gravy. 

Ham Roast with Extra Special Beer Glaze – This plant-based main course from Tofurky is considered “extra-special” for gatherings. It’s the perfect addition for your Thanksgiving meal with the ham’s perfect combination of a smokey and sweet flavor.

4 Vegan Thanksgiving Side Dishes

Vegan Stuffing – Stuffing has always been my guilty pleasure when it comes to Thanksgiving food. If you’re like me and always pile stuffing onto your plate, I’ve found a simple and delicious recipe from Minimalist Baker that is loaded with protein, fiber, and veggies, so you won’t feel guilty for going back for seconds (or even thirds…). 

•  Garden Herb Biscuits + Cranberry Sauce – When it comes to traditional Thanksgiving food, having an option of dinner rolls or biscuits as a side dish is a must. This Garden Herb Biscuit recipe from Hannah’s BitterSweet Blog takes original and plain biscuits to the next level. Within her recipe, she adds graded carrot and zucchini, along with vegan cream cheese and a variety of herbs that will leave your mouth watering as soon as they’re baking in the oven. You can top these biscuits with melted, non-dairy butter, along with homemade cranberry sauce

Sweet Potato Casserole with a Crunchy Nut Crumble – If you are a fan of sweet potatoes, this is the perfect fall dish for you! Coming from the Oh She Glows food blog, this is a side dish that takes a traditional sweet potato casserole over the top with the crunchy nut crumble topping and the virgin coconut oil and coconut cream addition for a decadent twist. 

Roasted Veggies – Compile some of your favorite veggies, like carrots, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, and broccoli. Lay them out on tin-foil, season with salt & pepper, plus any spices you desire and before you know it, you have an easy, quick and flavorful plant-based side dish. 

2 Vegan Thanksgiving Desserts 

Pumpkin Pie Squares with Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust – I always look forward to eating pumpkin pie for dessert at the end of a Thanksgiving meal. Part of the Oh She Glows vegan Thanksgiving recipe collection is pumpkin pie squares that are easy to make and the perfect size for sharing. The homemade, gluten-free graham cracker holds the squares together and adds a sweet flavor. Top the dessert off with a dollop of coconut whipped cream, chopped pecans and a sprinkle of cinnamon. 

Vegan New York Cheesecake – If you’re not a fan of pumpkin, this vegan New York style Cheesecake might be a better alternative for you. This creamy and rich recipe from A Virtual Vegan will be a great addition to fulfill your sweet-tooth at the end of your Thanksgiving gathering. I highly recommend topping off the dessert with a quick-vegan caramel sauce, blueberry lavender sauce or vanilla roasted strawberries. 

Hi! I'm Savannah Mendoza, a senior studying photojournalism at University of Oregon. Photography has always been one of my passions and I also love hiking, smoothie bowls, cats and going to the beach. I'm excited to continue to grow and learn about photography and writing through the opportunity of Her Campus.
The official Her Campus Oregon account