Top 7 Things You Should Do In Summer 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Worried you might be stuck with the same old, boring summer you had last year? You know… working part time, doing chores around the house for your parents, you and your friends going to the same hang out spots week after week after week. Kick this summer up a notch and try some new activities that you can’t normally do during the school year. What better time to try something new than Summer 2012?

1. Go camping
Camping is a great way to have fun with your friends while getting away from your regular, everyday life. Grab a tent, a sleeping bag, some hamburger patties, firewood and some friends and head out to a camping site near your area. Every state offers some sort of destination camping ground. Whether that is at the beach, a lake, or the sand dunes, each offers its own unique aspects that make it appealing for you.

2. See your favorite band or artist
The summer months are when a lot of bands and performers are traveling. Take this opportunity to find a favorite artist of yours performing in a city near you and see them live! Concerts and shows are a good investment because they’re usually an experience you’ll remember for the rest of your lives.

3. Kiss the boy of your dreams
Almost every girl has that dream guy in her imagination. A few lucky of us actually get to meet him. If by chance you do run into that dream guy this summer, why hold back? You may miss the one opportunity you get, and when is a better time than Summer 2012 to take chances?

4. Stay up all night with your friends
When was the last time you and your friends pulled an all nighter at a sleepover? Use this summer to reconnect with your friends. A great way of doing that is to do what you used to do in high school. Have a sleepover with your best girlfriends. Do each other’s hair and makeup, talk about guys and college and life. It may seem juvenile at first, but you’ll be surprised how much fun you can have staying up all night with your best friends.

5. Take a last minute trip
Saying “yes” at the last second to a trip could end up being the highlight of your summer. Deciding something spur of the moment can add a touch of much-needed thrill to a lackluster summer. Even if you’re just heading to the next town over, or visiting your grandparents at their house, taking a last minute trip is sure to add some excitement to your summer.

6. Learn a new sport or hobby
When do you have more time than the summer to learn something new? Take your break over the next couple months and learn the skill you have always wanted to master. Recreation centers and city centers offer an array of summer classes, from pottery to rock climbing to learning new instruments to summer sports. Do exactly what you’ve always dreamed of doing, and you are sure to have a fulfilling summer. And hey, maybe you’ll meet a hot instructor along the way!

7. Check out your State Fair
Nothing gets you to let loose like riding a Tilt-A-Whirl and playing fair games. Head out to your state’s annual fair with some friends, eat some good food, play some games, ride some rides and listen to music. Sometimes your State Fair will even spring for some big names to come and perform. Just make sure you don’t eat too much cotton candy and get sick!

Photos from:
http://peainthepodfitness.com/
http://howtokissaguyforthefirsttime.org/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamdhopkins/3598717909/
http://en.bestpicturesof.com/

Maggie is a senior at the University of Oregon pursuing a degree in Public Relations and Communications through the School of Journalism. She enjoys hanging out with her friends, laying by the pool or on the beach, and traveling. Her favorite city in the world is Paris and she hopes to go back after graduation. Follow her on twitter at @mahilty
Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter