Throwing An Anti-Valentine’s Day Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

A wise man by the name of Si Wright once said, “Valentines Day is like a 900 pound grizzly bear: from a safe distance it looks fantastic, but do anything to threaten it and you’re a dead man, left savaged with half a face.”

Valentine’s Day is possibly the most dreaded “holiday” of the year for many–male and female alike. For any person flying solo, Valentine’s Day is full of anger, misery, and self-criticism. Women in particular feel as though being single on Valentine’s Day means they aren’t good enough. Instead of encouraging women to be strong and independent, society seems to look down upon being single.  

This year, instead of throwing yourself a pity party–throw an ACTUAL party. Use this day as an excuse to get a bunch of super fun people together to “not celebrate” together!

Here is how to throw the most talked about, most memorable…Anti-Valentine’s Day Party.

GROUND RULES:

1. Only the most eligible bachelors and bachelorettes are invited. After all, this could be your chance to find a cutie who despises Valentine’s Day as much as you do. And no one wants to endure lovey-dovey couples all night
  2. Inviting an ex is the ultimate party foul. Even mentioning his or her name is taboo.
  3. No red or pink. This is an Anti-Valentine’s Day party, remember? This is the perfect occasion for that little black dress.
  4. Absolutely no mentioning the V-word the entire night, or even worse, the horrid L-word (Love).
  5. Refer to rule #2.

Bring out the inner-bartender in you and get creative!

These Anti-Valentine’s Day inspired cocktails will set your party apart from the rest.

Cupid’s Broken Arrow:

• 3 oz. Three-O Mango Vodka
  • 1/2 oz. Triple Sec
  • 1 oz. cranberry juice
  • splash of fresh lime juice

Shake ingredients with ice and strain into a glass. Garnish with a cherry.

Love on the Rocks:

• 1 ½ oz. Three-O Cherry Vodka
  • 4 oz. ginger ale
  • splash of grenadine

Cupid’s Blood Cocktail

• 1 bottle sparkling rose wine
  • 20 drops food coloring

Pour enough sparkling wine to fill Champagne flutes, about 3/4 full.

Add at least five drops of food coloring to each glass to get a deep red color.

OR for those wanting a substitute, try this delicious non-alcoholic refreshment….

Black-Currant Cider Sparklers

• ¼ cup black-currant juice
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 ½ cups chilled sparking cider
  • Lemon peels, for garnish

Your Anti-Valentine’s Day Playlist…

Should be fun, empowering, and full of those songs that you just can’t help but dance to.

How to Be a Heartbreaker – Marina & The Diamonds

The Boys – Nicki Minaj & Cassie

Not Big – Lily Allen

I Don’t Like You – Eva Simons

Satisfaction RL GRIME Remix – Benny Benassi

Bounce – Calvin Harris ft. Kelis

Don’t Love Me – Trey Songz ft. Lil Wayne

Little Bad Girl – David Guetta

Kids – Sleigh Bells

For any single girl that plans on staying home, watching sad movies and eating your feelings, realize that having a relationship doesn’t define you. You don’t need to have a boyfriend in order to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

Stand up high and make a toast to the single life.

Currently a senior at the University of Oregon, I am the Editor-In-Chief of the Oregon chapter of Her Campus. My dream is to be able to combine my love for travel with my love for journalism. I hope to be a part of something inspiring.  
The official Her Campus Oregon account