david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Three Simple Rules for Staying Safe on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Halloween is approaching and for many of us collegiettes, the holiday is the absolute highlight of fall term. Who doesn’t love dressing up and going out with your closest friends? Many of us go out on Halloween to hop from place to place to show off our fabulous costumes- but listen here ladies, don’t let the holiday get the best of you. Follow these tips to make sure your Halloween weekend runs smoothly:

1. Monitor your alcohol intake

Celebrating on Halloween is no doubt a great time to destress from midterms and catch up with friends. But before going out, be sure to set yourself a limit of how much alcohol to consume especially if you plan on party hopping. Being in control of yourself allows you to travel from destination to destination safely and to avoid serious alcohol-related consequences such as blacking out. Also, keep your drink with you at all times to be sure absolutely nothing is being added to your Halloween-themed cocktail.

2. Stick to the buddy system

Be sure to stay in contact with your friends throughout the night to insure that all of you are safe. If you plan on celebrating Halloween in a different city or part of town than you’re used to, this rule could be a life saver!

3. Bring a jacket

It sounds old school, but Halloween night it known for getting a little chilly when your costume doesn’t include as much material as a typical outfit would. Bring a jacket to stay warm when outside on the cold fall evening. We all know fast a great night can turn miserable when you’re shivering! 

University of Oregon student taking everything as inspiration.