Life > Experiences

These Christmas Stories Will Make you Rethink Gift Giving…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I asked my friends what their favorite Christmas gifts have been over the past few years. After a few moments of silence, I said, “Think memorable…” soon, all their faces lit up. They then explained the stories behind some of their favorite gifts. This made me realize that gift giving does not have to be extravagant. Sometimes the memories that come along with the presents are what matters most. Here are some of my friends most cherished gifts and the stories behind them.

“A few years ago when my family went skiing in Austria, we didn’t do a real Christmas. I guess we just had dinner and chatted and after we were done, I thought that was the best gift for me. Not that you can always give someone a trip for Austria but I think the experience factor is important.” 

Grace Boyle, 20 year old from Bend, Oregon

“My family and I were in Italy and met this guy who owned a leather factory. He invited us into the store and told us he would give us a discount. We looked around and everything was really expensive, even with the discount. I fell in love with one, but didn’t end up getting it. I left the store empty-handed and upset I didn’t get it. Christmas comes around and I open one of my presents from my dad. It’s the exact same leather jacket that I was obsessed with. Turns out when we were waiting at a train station in Italy, my dad allegedly had to go to the “ATM”, but he actually sprinted back to the store and bought me the jacket and kept it hidden until Christmas.” 

Meghan Day, 20 year old from Bend, Oregon

“I hate to say it but if it’s a piece of jewelry that is made out of quality material that I can wear forever, I love that. It feels permanent.”

Alana Ackerman, 21 year old from Bend, Oregon

“Last year my dad bought me these nice leather gloves because he knew I was studying abroad in Copenhagen over the fall and winter where it would get really cold. While I was home, I didn’t use them since it was the summer. I brought them with me to Europe and now I wear them every day. One day, I lost them at a coffee shop. I went home and started crying because I knew I was going to have to tell my dad I lost my favorite pair of gloves. I was about to buy a cheap pair when I went into the coffee shop the next day and I found them still there.” 

Fiona Dolan, 19 year old from Bend, Oregon

“One of the most special things my family started doing was something called the ‘Brown Bag Christmas,’ which is a tribute to my grandfather after he passed away. He always got us the most interesting things from thrift stores and he hated wrapping so he would put the gifts in a brown bag, hints the name “Brown Bag Christmas.” From now on, one person in my family is in charge of this, and gets thrift store gifts that reminds them of that person.” 

Natalie Lehrbach, 20 year old from Roseburg, Oregon

This holiday season, think back to what some of your favorite gifts have been and think about why they are so special. So let’s forget about the price tags and wrapping paper and focus on the memories. It seems that the gift itself is outshined by the person and the thought behind it. Before you start shopping, think about who the person is standing right in front of you, and how you want them to remember your friendship. Who knows, maybe your gifts this year will be the ones that your friends or family will remember for the rest of their lives… 

Hi everyone and welcome to my page! My name is Anniston Ward, I am a junior at the University of Oregon and my hometown is Bend, Oregon. I am double majoring in Public Relations and Spanish and minoring in Sports Business. I love to travel, spend time with my friends and family, take my Yorkshire Terrier, Willie, on runs, cook and try new foods, write and drink lots of coffee. I'm so excited to be a part of the HerCampus team to express myself through writing and hopefully inspire other women. I believe it's so important for women our age to speak their minds, share their ideas, empower each other and just be ourselves. I hope you enjoy my page and as always... go ducks!