This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Driven by the uncertainty brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, it has become practical now, more than ever, to stay at home and watch television. Over the past few months, I have developed a strong reliance on television streaming sites like HBO, Hulu, and Netflix. With my strong affinity towards nostalgic, early-2000s pop culture, I love the variety of entertainment each streaming service provides. From cult classics to new projects, streaming services have proven to be a consumer favorite. That being said, here is a list of the top three shows you should add to your watch list for the fall term. 

First up is the academic comedy-drama, The Chair. The Netflix original, which stars Grey’s Anatomy’s Sandra Oh, focuses on her character as she navigates work as the first professor of color to lead the English department at her prestigious university. Hard hitting and relatable, the series illustrates the experience of being a woman in academia, the struggle of running a failing program, and the drama of juggling teaching and school politics. With only six episodes in its first (and only current) season, this human interest piece is the perfect quick watch for anyone who loves school-based series.

The second on my list is the sensational limited series Mare of Easttown. Starring Kate Winslet, this crime drama follows a small town sports legend-turned detective investigating the disappearances of teenaged girls in her tight-knit community. Poignant and shocking, this story twists and turns at every possible intersection, often leaving viewers on the edge of their seats. Overall, Mare of Easttown more than exceeds the expectations for a suspenseful murder mystery with no shortage of suspects,

Lastly, my third recommendation is The White Lotus. This HBO limited comedy series shines a satirical light on class, privilege, and crime against the perfect backdrop of a luxurious Hawaii resort. The story starts with the discovery of a dead body at the idyllic White Lotus resort, and relies on nonlinear storytelling to reveal the identity of the body at the end of the series. Starring such big names as Euphoria’s Sydney Sweeney and Legally Blonde’s Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus is a thought-provoking production that is sure to please audiences and critics alike for a long time to come. 

This fall term, be sure to add these staples to your watch list, because each of these shows are perfect for binging between classes or while doing homework. While it’s a good idea to prioritize class work, it’s best to have a balance between both work and leisure as your workload increases. With these shows on your watchlist, with time prioritized to watch them, you’ll be sure to achieve balance this fall term!

Hi! My name is Lauren Howard, I'm 21, and I'm from Palos Verdes, CA. I'm currently Junior the University of Oregon, and I'm majoring in Advertising. In my free time, I enjoy watching Netflix, thrifting, or vibing to one of my many Spotify playlists. A passionate storyteller and opinionated to a T, I'm excited to delve into some of my favorite topics, and learn from everyone here!