A Taste of the Holidays: Drinks You Have to Try!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As the old saying goes, it is the most wonderful time of the year! Now that fall term is over, winter break is upon us and the majority of us are heading home for the holidays. Although the height of the holiday season has begun and we are all busy hanging lights, decorating trees, and buying presents… there is still time for some holiday fun to be had! So, when you get together with your girlfriends for a girls night or a holiday party, spice up the gathering by making holiday drinks. These drinks can be great for any holiday occasion, and making them with friends is a fun way to get in the festive spirit. I have gathered some various drink recipes for you to try, courtesy of the Food Network (of course). The drinks are simple, fun, tasty, and look adorable! So mix up these drinks, sit back with your friends by the fire, and enjoy a taste of the holidays.

Santa’s Sleigh Cocktail
Prep time: 7 minutes. Serves: 4.

What you will need:

White sugar crystals (preferably course – these can most likely be found in the baking aisle of any grocery store)
2 cups store-bought eggnog, chilled
1/2 cup brandy
1/2 cup amaretto liqueur (it has a bit of an almond taste to it, and is also great when paired with coffee)
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 scoops vanilla ice cream
4 cinnamon sticks

Now, to get started:
First, dampen the rims of 4 martini glasses and then line the rims with the sugar crystals.
Next, combine eggnog, brandy, amaretto, nutmeg and ice cream in a blender; process until smooth. Pour mixture into martini glasses and garnish each glass with a whole cinnamon stick. Enjoy!

[pagebreak]

Next up is the Snowtini. This drink takes a bit longer, but it doesn’t call for as many ingredients. And the end result is worth all of the preparation time!
 (*note: no photo for this one, but they do give a video demo of how to make it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/sandras-snowtini/video/index.html)

What you’ll need:

1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups ice
3 ounces vanilla vodka
3 ounces chocolate liqueur (recommended: Godiva)
3 ounces Irish cream liqueur (recommended: Baileys)
– Also, for this recipe you will need a cocktail shaker.

Directions:
First, place the martini glasses on a designated, flat shelf in the freezer for 10 minutes.

Using a serrated knife, cut shavings off the block of chocolate and reserve for later.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour the vodka, chocolate liqueur and Irish cream over the ice. Put top on the shaker and shake firmly.

Carefully pull out the glasses from the freezer and pour into the chilled glass.
Garnish with chocolate shavings in the middle and serve!

[pagebreak]

The Mapletini is my personal favorite. This is also the easiest and quickest drink recipe. Making this drink is as simple as combining all of the ingredients, shaking, pouring, and then enjoying!

What you will need:

2 shots Irish cream liqueur
1 shot brandy
1/2 shot cinnamon schnapps
1 teaspoon maple syrup
Ice
Cinnamon stick, for garnish
**This recipe also calls for a cocktail shaker

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with cinnamon stick.

These are just a few of the fun and creative ways you and your friends can get in the holiday spirit this season! So grab a few girlfriends for a night of catching up and festive holiday drinks!

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter