Take Yourself on a Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

We often get so caught up in the daily ritual of our lives, where each day seems mundane and blends from one to the next. At this point, we forget to take a step back and set aside time to focus on ourselves. This is a crucial time in life to find passion and truly evolve into becoming the best possible version of ourselves in this world. One of the best ways to dedicate time to yourself is to take yourself on a date.

It can be intimidating and lonely at first, but it’s important to learn to be comfortable and content with yourself and your thoughts, whether you’re going to a fancy restaurant, seeing your favorite band live, or going to see a movie alone. It’s okay to spend mornings alone and take yourself on dates and sleep with only your cat — because the season you are in will not last forever, and one day you will enjoy all those things with another person and it will be more special than you could ever imagine. By doing some of your favorite things alone, you can find what brings you joy in each day, find what makes you tick, find solitude and gratitude within yourself and ultimately find what you makes you, you.

You’re living and breathing and working hard to be the best person you can be. Love yourself, and be proud of who you are and the hard work you’ve put into your life. Be grateful for the good things, for the things that give you light and for the hardships that give you experience and growth. You need to learn to love and care for yourself before you can love someone else. Once you find that relationship of self-love, you will radiate with confidence knowing you love each imperfectly perfect part about you. Set aside time once in a while to treat yourself to your favorite dessert, go to a coffee shop and write in your journal, or go on a hike and admire the beautiful scenery around you. It’s a selfishly selfless act that will only benefit your own personal development and growth. Love yourself, love being with yourself, and take yourself on a date.

Hi! I'm Savannah Mendoza, a senior studying photojournalism at University of Oregon. Photography has always been one of my passions and I also love hiking, smoothie bowls, cats and going to the beach. I'm excited to continue to grow and learn about photography and writing through the opportunity of Her Campus.
The official Her Campus Oregon account