A Survival Guide to Lake Shasta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Spring term in Eugene brings a lot of wanting: for sun, for summer, and for just a little break from the hectic life of a collegiette™.  For many of us, the perfect getaway is a weekend at Lake Shasta. Nothing gets better than house boating with your friends and playing in the sun. The only catch is you need to be prepared. Things can get a little crazy, messy, and unexpected. I have gone to Shasta for the past three years, so I have compiled all of my experiences into the ultimate Shasta survival guide.

Do not bring clothes that you care about. Shasta is a pretty dirty place. There is no sand or beaches. It is all pretty much reddish-brown rocky clay, and the chances of slipping at some point are pretty high. Just stay safe, and bring clothes that you don’t mind getting ruined, like long, bright, funny shirts to act as a cover-up for your bathing suit.

Do bring water shoes. They keep your feet clean and free from cuts. Trust me, you definitely want to bring a pair.

Do bring some sort of water bottle. Don’t rely on cups. Cups can run out, and lake water can get spilled into it, which is just gross. Everyone I know decorated their water bottles with their name, so they know which belongs to them.

Do bring some fun water toys.
Given that you are at a lake, it is obvious that you will get in the water at some point. My favorite Shasta pastime is tying my sit-n-float to the back of the boat and just lying in the sun. Water guns, water balloons, water balloon launchers, and inflatable water animals all make for good fun.

Do keep it simple. When it comes to food, keep in mind that these boats run on some unreliable generators. Each boat comes equipped with a barbecue, so the best bet is to bring a cooler full of ice, hot dogs and hamburgers.  

Do bring tons of water and Gatorade.
Being out in the sun all day, you absolutely need to stay hydrated.

Do let loose and have fun. The whole point of a Shasta trip is to leave all your stresses behind. Like a mini vacation, it gives you that little push you need to get through the end of the year and kick off summer!

(Photo credit: Toysplash and friend)

A University of Oregon junior and San Francisco native, Charmaine Ng loves authentic noodle dishes and will always opt for Asian and Italian cuisine when pressed to choose a restaurant. She is a self-proclaimed "noodler," someone who uses her noodle to collaborate with others and bring big ideas to life. She interns for a student-run full-service ad agency, blogs for a wedding and event planning company, and runs the UO Muggle Quidditch League. In her spare time, she sleeps, and sleeps, and sleeps - and dabbles in social media and blogging, her two biggest passions. Her quirkiness isn't apparent at first, but then she starts talking about packaging design and making funny faces, and you wonder what happened to that shy Asian girl you first met. With ambition bursting beyond the campus walls, Charmaine can't wait to graduate and work for an agency, company, or publication in community outreach efforts using social media.