Summer Internship Prep 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Congratulations!  All of your resumé edits, networking, and countless filling out of applications have paid off, you landed a bomb internship for this summer!  As you make your way through the final push of spring term and keep your eyes on the prize, here are a few things you can do make sure you start your internship off with a bang.

1)    Update your Wardrobe

Who doesn’t love a shopping spree? Research the company to get a feel of the style in and around the office.  Is it corporate environment? A non-profit? An art gallery?  No matter the internship, make sure to get some key pieces you will be able to mix and match with different outfits. No matter the company or organization, you can’t go wrong with a blazer, a nice pair of slacks, and nude flats.

2)    Hello, my name is…

Very often when you first start your internship, they like for you to have a little biography of yourself written up so they can post it on their website or use it when referring you to colleagues.  Whenever you have a few minutes this term, use this time to whip out a short biography highlighting your qualifications and why you are excited about this particular internship.

3)    Give Thanks

If you have not done so already, be sure to send out thank you letters or emails to all the people that assisted you in landing this internship.  Keeping these connections strong will come in handy for future career opportunities, so make sure to keep these people in the know on your current happenings. 

4)    Clean up your Online Presence (and/or keep it that way!)

Not much more to elaborate on this one, but make sure there is nothing on your page you would not want your grandmother to see.  Chances are you will be meeting lots of new people when you start your internship, and you want to give them the any wrong impression to put your internship in jeopardy.

5)    Get Excited!

If you are not already ecstatic about your internship this summer, start feeling the adrenaline.  Although it may seem far off right now with midterms approaching and rainy weather, your internship is closer than you think.  Celebrate your success, read up on news pertaining to your internship, and set a career goal that will keep you motivated throughout the summer. 

Whatever the internship, great opportunities are in store for you.  Congrats and good luck collegiettes!

Rebecca Cohen, originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, is a senior at the University of Oregon majoring in French and minoring in media studies. This year, she has embarked on a study abroad adventure through the University of Oregon in Lyon, France. Prior to her study abroad experience, she has been very involved in campus life and served as President of the only local sorority on campus, Sigma Mu Omega, where she got to hone in on her leaderhsip skills and bond with her sisters.  She loves to go swimming, make delicious food (especially now that she is living in the gastronomical capital of the world), and spend quality time friends and family. Stay tuned for study abroad articles!