This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As many of you know, Starbucks sells reusable cups in stores. Recently they have been promoting the cups even more. At a very low cost, you buy the cup and straw and use it every time you come into the store you save ten cents off your order. With the knowledge that we have on the environment, this sounds like a smart idea due to the fact that we consume so much plastic a day, especially with the cups we use daily.

What Starbucks claims is that the purchase of using the cup will result in using less plastic cups. They promote this is the companies effort to help the environment. When you ordered your drink they made your drink right away using the reusable cup, also not using the stickers. This is due to the fact that they do not want to put the sticker on the reusable cup, in order to keep the cup in good condition. It has been pointed out that recently with the popularity of the cup and the rush that Starbucks get from time to time. I have noticed that when times get busy at Starbucks they still use the plastic cups and pour the drink from that into the reusable cups. This is interesting due to the fact that buying the reusable straw is supposed to reduce the number of plastic cups.

When this was discovered I tested it out at other Starbucks to see if this is really true. What I have found is that when Starbucks is super busy they use a plastic cup due to the fast demand. When there is little to no customers in the store, there is no plastic cup used. When I first saw that they were using plastic cups I was heated due to the fact that I felt that they were being not honest to their customers. I understand at times it can be hard due t the rush of business, but it looks like a scam. It makes it look like Starbucks is only selling the cups for profit. Starbucks needs to figure out a way to incorporate the reusable cup when it gets busy. This may be cutting out the stickers that they put on the cup and writing the order on the cup like they used to. It would be even better if they stopped using stickers all together and stopped using plastic cups. As for now, I hope that Starbucks encourages workers to stop using the plastic cups even when it gets busy it defeats the purpose of purchasing the plastic cup. 

Alyssa Arcos

Oregon '21

Hi! I am Alyssa, my friends call me lyss. I was born and raised in Southern California and go to Disneyland way too often. I am a junior at the University of Oregon majoring in public relations and advertising. I am really passionate about educating others on sexual assault and how to have healthy and consensual relationships. I love all things beauty, fashion, entertainment and travel. I am a VS PINK campus representative. I hope to one day make a difference and inspire young girls, I don't know how but I know I will. I love getting to express my thoughts and share my life experiences.
The official Her Campus Oregon account