This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Spring break is right around the corner, and I’m sure many of us are taking vacations- hopefully to sunny places! When it comes to airline prices, checking luggage can be pretty expensive. In the spirit of saving money while maintaining your fabulous style, I’m here to give you some of my tips for packing lightly into a small checked suitcase or even a carry-on bag. Let’s get packing!

Photo courtesy of ABC News

Evaluate your trip first

The very first step in packing lightly is planning for the location you are traveling to. Take a look at the weather, the activities you will be doing, and the amenities where you are staying. Also check the regulations for carry-on bags on the airline you’re flying.

Bring the right carry-on

The right bag is essential to packing light if you are planning on only bring a carry-on. In my experience, the best carry-on is sturdy, has many compartments and has the type of wheels that roll in any direction.

Suitcase from overstock.com

Plan your outfits ahead of time

I know this may seem like a tedious task, but it will save you so much room in your suitcase in the long run. Think about what you will be doing each day of your trip and lay outfits out on your bed. Don’t forget to include jewelry and shoes too! This will also save time during your trip since you won’t have to think about what you want to wear each day.

Pick staples that you can wear more than once

If you bring items that you can wear with more than one outfit, it’s less likely you’ll be cramming things into your suitcase to make them fit. Think of universal pieces like blue jeans, a cardigan or a neutral swimsuit cover-up that can go with multiple outfits. Shoes are extremely important with this tip; choose shoes that you can wear with different outfits to save room.

Photo courtesy of Hollis Anne

Bring only the essentials when it comes to makeup and hair

This tip is the hardest for me personally being the makeup junkie that I am. I promise it’s possible though. Bring only the essentials to do your makeup and a neutral eye shadow palette you can create different looks with. If you’re traveling with friends or family, coordinate the hair tools you are bringing: have one person bring the curling iron, have another person bring the hairspray, have someone else bring the straightener, etc.

Prioritize

Take a moment to really think about what you will absolutely need while on your trip. Are there things at the hotel that you wouldn’t need to pack? Do you really need all twenty swimsuits? Packing light means only taking the essentials.

Roll it up

Roll each item up as tightly as you can before putting it in the suitcase. If you fold the clothes or just throw them in, you won’t be able to fit as much into your bag. It might take more time, but you will thank yourself later when everything fits.

Photo courtesy of WISH

Leave a bit of space for things you want to take back with you

I know, I know; this seems impossible with the limited space you’re working with. But you will find yourself in a difficult situation if you bought something while on vacation and can’t fit it into your suitcase because you already stuffed it to the brim.

If you have to bring bulkier items, wear them on your way there

In an effort to save space in your suitcase, this is the ultimate tip for those needing to bring larger items. If you need a coat or have to bring those boots, wear them on the plane so you don’t have to pack them.

If this all seems a bit intimidating for you over-packers and “just in case”-ers, just remember that the point of vacation is to relax and enjoy your time. Planning in advance to pack only what you need will help you do that. Happy Spring Break!

The official Her Campus Oregon account