This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

This article is part of the Skincare 101 Series, where we break down just what every product out there does, their formulations and some starting suggestions.

Exfoliating is an important step in any skincare routine. While cleansing removes built-up dirt, oil and makeup, it doesn’t totally wash away the top layer of dead skin cells that can clog your pores, become visible as it flakes off and cause acne. There are two main avenues for exfoliation: “manual” or physical exfoliation, and chemical exfoliation. Each has its benefits and downsides, so it’s up to you to decide which kind better suits your skin.

Physical/”Manual” Exfoliation: Physical exfoliation is the process of removing dead skin cells with a tangible and often visible material. This could be in the form of salt, sugar, plastic microbeads, coffee grounds or even crushed nutshells. The physical object breaks down dead skin cells and helps sweep them away to allow the new cells to grow. The key here is to be gentle. Harsh scrubbing, either with fingertips, a washcloth or a facial cleansing brush like the Clarisonic, can result in damage to the new skin cells as well as increased redness, irritation and sensitivity. Additionally, physical exfoliants should not be used daily. Three times a week maximum is a good goal.

Simple Skincare Smoothing Facial Scrub, $8.00

Cetaphil Extra Gentle Daily Scrub, $8.00

Fresh Sugar Face Polish, $25.00-$62.00

Ole Henrkisen Transforming Walnut Scrub, $28.00

Chemical Exfoliants: These have been all the rage in the skincare industry for the last four to five years. Chemical exfoliants work by using an acid or combination of acids to break down and lift dead skin cells and speed up new cell regeneration. If you’ve ever seen the words “glycolic acid” or the initialisms AHA or BHA, the product is either wholly or in part a chemical exfoliant. These products come in a wide variety of strengths and often with unique ingredients. Chemical exfoliants tend to be on the stronger side altogether though, so if you start using them, start easy and light. Don’t leave them on for too long and build up your frequency of use as your skin gets used to it. Follow the instructions on your chosen product, as they typically suggest a starting frequency and time frame. Additionally, you should always wear SPF, but be especially mindful to apply when using chemical exfoliants regularly.

L’Oreal Paris Pure Sugar Scrub, $13.00

St. Ive’s Energizing Coffee and Coconut Scrub, $4.00

Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser, $39.00

Drunk Elephant Sukari Babyfacial, $80.00

Abigail Winn

Oregon '20

As a fourth-year photojournalism and media studies double major, I'm always looking for opportunities to diversify my writing and visual work. I'm very passionate about personal wellness of the body, mind and heart and I'm excited to be able to produce work on the subject. When I'm not studying, working or mentoring, I'm knee-deep in skincare trends, shopping for photography gear or singing my heart out in choir.
The official Her Campus Oregon account