This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

5 Things I Learned from The Sinner Season Two

I don’t know about the rest of you guys out there but I loved “The Sinner” season one. Aside from already having a major #girlcrush on Jessica Biel, I really loved the creepy twisted nature of the show. And like season one, season two did not disappoint. In fact, the nature of the show became even more twisted in ways I could have never imagined (or wanted to for that matter). The writers and producers of the show did a fantastic job at entertaining and stringing me along week after week, but I will say they left the show with many unanswered questions. Anyway, here are 5 things I learned from “The Sinner” season two.

Do not, under any circumstances, drink tea made by someone else!

#spoileralert! There are many instances throughout the show that involve someone or more than one person drinking tea, and it resulting in NOT the warm calming fuzzy feeling we all know. But we all know the ground rules of never letting someone else make your drink without watching. Just saying, don’t drink jimson weed tea because it will not end well.

When you’re young and in trouble always gain trust with the detectives

After watching Julian Walker, a 13 year old boy accused of killing two adults, I know to gain the trust of those investigating. With the constant communication between Julian and Detective Ambrose, it allowed Ambrose to help Julian reduce his jail time. Hoping I will never be in a situation like Julian’s but it’s nice to know their are people looking out for ya!

Your mother will literally do anything to keep you safe

After Julian was charged with murder his mother Vera stopped at no lengths to keep him out of harm’s way and (tried) to keep him out of prison. Between flat out lying about various things she did or know about, taking a child, avoiding answering questions, planning a murder,  and kidnapping a cop these were only some of the things Vera did to protect Julian. I may not be in the mom shoes yet, but wow it’s crazy to think that love will trigger a sense of having no fear in life (or acting like it at least).

Always communicate with your closest friends, or you’ll push them away

In the show Heather Novack and Marin Calhoun are clearly best friends as we see them hang out and have sleepovers, as well as know some dark secrets about one another. But what we also see is a lack of communication between them, which ends up breaking their friendship apart. Heather is not honest with herself and her true feelings deep down, and Marin gives up trying to be her friend. Yet, we also find out later on Marin has her own issues (abusive parents) and takes it out on Heather by lashing out and running away. Marin has some dark secrets of her own that we don’t find out until the season finale. Secrets that are heartbreaking, and her lack of honesty with Heather adds to their lack of friendship building. If both Heather and Marin confessed to their problems they might end up being the support system they both needed.

You really never know everything about a person

Detective Ambrose came back to Keller (his hometown) for the first time in many years and decided to stay with an old friend. This old friend being, of course, the father of newly detective Heather Novack who works with Ambrose on the trial. Throughout the show we come to learn deeply disturbing things about Ambrose’s past, and why he never came back to town. Things he repressed and made him seem somewhat like villain in his own story. We also come to learn of the odd nature of Jack Novack (Heather’s father). It becomes clear that he is somehow involved in this case surrounding Julian Walker, and we find out in the season finale. It’s so disturbing and answers many questions within the series.

Don’t worry I won’t give that away- go watch it for yourself (I was stunned)!! Anyway I hope these little life lessons from The Sinner Season two were good takeaways, and will encourage you to go watch the show! It’s amazingly good!

Hi there! I'm glad you made it to my page! My name is Gillian George, and I am a junior/incoming senior at the University of Oregon. I am currently getting into the Advertising program of the Journalism Major and have a minor of business. Writing and photography are my two biggest passions in life, I have been taking portriats for  a few years now and I am trying to create a small business out of it! I love talking to people and helping people with any sort of situation. I grew up surrounded by my family who all work in the medical field, and I enjoy educating people on womens health so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! I also love food, traveling, and a good mystery television show or movie!
The official Her Campus Oregon account