Single and Fabulous: How to Be Single February 14th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

We’ve all had that moment when we feel like Jessica Biel’s character in “Valentine’s Day” when she is sitting alone at her I Hate Valentine’s Day party. But why do we let ourselves sink to such lows?

Ah yes, because we’re single.

It is common for single women to get wrapped up in the expectations of Valentine’s Day and slump into isolation. Just because you are not in a relationship does not mean you are alone, and by no means unwanted.

Being single on Valentine’s Day isn’t as bad as we often think. There are so many fabulous perks that us single ladies can experience on Valentine’s day instead of downing dozens of chocolate pieces that we bought ourselves. Embrace the fact that you are independent and not tied down.

Here are some fun and fabulous tips to make your Valentine’s Day just as enjoyable as if you were dating Prince Charming:

Spoil yourself
Buy yourself that purse or pair of jeans you’ve been eyeing at the mall, indulge in a facial, or treat yourself to an Edible Arrangement. Valentine’s Day is about love, so why not show yourself some love and pamper yourself a bit.

Spend time with loved ones
As I said, this day is about love so go out with your girlfriends and show them how much their friendship means to you. Eugene has some fabulous places to eat: Sushi Station, Noodle Head, and La Perla are all wonderful eateries where you and your girls can go to enjoy great food and better company.

Give back
Volunteering is a great way to spend your Valentine’s Day. Dedicate your day to showing love to those in need. Go to the Humane Society or a hospital and see what you can do to make someone else’s day. Volunteering is a fun way to give back and spread the love at the same time.

Why should girls with boyfriends have all the fun? They shouldn’t! Take these simple little tips and have an enjoyable Valentine’s Day. You deserve it! You are guaranteed to have a joyful Valentine’s Day when spent doing things you love or with the people you love the most. After all, there is no better accessory than the friends on your arm: they’re timeless and they never go out of style.

Sources:
Women around campus
www.stvalentinesday.org
“Valentine’s Day” (2010)
Sex and the City (image)

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter