Scoring the Perfect Winter 2014 Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Registering for classes can be both difficult and extremely stressful. With a lot of options and tricky hidden rules, registration can be a pain. Don’t worry, Her Campus Oregon has you covered! Here are some quick easy registration tips to achieve your perfect Winter 2014 schedule.

Know when you register

You are given a registration priority time each term based on the number of credits you have accumulated and the last three digits of your UO ID number (95xxxxxx). There are two ways to look up your registration time:

1. The Registrar’s Office publishes a Registration Priority Schedule. You will need to know the number of credits you have and your student ID number. (Link Here)
  2. Nov. 11, 2013, your specific registration time is added to your student record. Once that is completed, you can then view your specific time and day in DuckWeb. After logging into DuckWeb, click on Student Menu, Registration Menu, then Check Registration Eligibility.

Talk to your Academic Advisors

Talking with your specific major academic advisor within these next couple of weeks before registration begins will be extremely useful. Call today and set up an appointment. “See an advisor and ask what requirements you need to fulfill so you don’t take classes for no reason,” says Mallory Archer, a junior Advertising major. Advisors are great at helping you choose between classes and the ones that double dip in requirements. Here is a link to Academic Advising for undeclared majors.

Plan ahead

The Winter 2014 schedule is now live. You can view the classes available for next term by visiting THIS LINK. The number one piece of advice students give is to plan ahead and create a mock schedule. Planning out your winter 2014 schedule before your registration time will be very valuable to you. 

Make a schedule

One of the ways to plan ahead is by making a mock schedule.  Laying out and graphing your schedule can be visually helpful. Also make sure none of your classes you want to take have conflicting times or overlap.  Choose your top choices of the classes you absolutely want and then…

Have backups

Junior and Human Physiology Major Caitlin Kurz reminds us, “Don’t fall in love with one schedule; be prepared to use your alternate choices.” This can’t be stressed enough–have multiple back up classes. Journalism Advisor Sally Garner says, “Have your first four choices in mind but then have your backup options available.”  Backup classes are crucial so you don’t freak out if some of your original classes fill up. I would suggest having a couple different options for each of your original classes, as well as looking at different time slots for the same class.

Set an alarm

This may sound repetitive, but make sure you are up early enough and are awake when your registration time starts. If you have class during your registration time, talk to your professor beforehand so they know the situation.

Write out all CRN’s

“Always have your CRN numbers ready,” says Remi Nevins, a sophomore studying History. CRN’s are the 5-digit code to the specific class. By having multiple CRN’s ready, you will be able to submit all of your classes at the same time. However if you like doing it class by class, senior and Business major Becky Constantine says, “I sign up for the ones think will fill up the fastest first.”

What happens if you don’t get the class you want?

If a class you want fills up, don’t lose hope.  Advisor Sally Garner says, “Remember you can keep tweaking your schedule all the way until the term starts.” Keep checking back often; you never know when someone will drop or switch out of the class you want. As a last resort, try emailing the professor with your situation.

*Tip–Don’t mention in your email that you need the class to graduate. Instead, reiterate to the professor how excited you are about the subject and that specific class.

You only experience college once – take the interesting classes

This is the time to take classes that interest you. You never know what you may fall in love with. Taking a class that is interesting to you could possibly lead to your future career. Mallory says, “Read class descriptions and don’t go just based off the course title to make sure your interested in the course.” Stay passionate, and make the most of your time here at University of Oregon!

Research professors

Researching the professors that teach the course is another great resource tool. Talking to friends who have taken the classes before you or looking up past syllabi can also be a helpful way to judge if you will like the class. Environmental Science major Marla Waters says, “Always check the professor on Rate My Professor.com.” This website is a great resource tool to see what other students think of that specific professor.

Other

• Know that you will have to take an 8:00 AM or 8:30 AM at least once in your life.
  • Double check each class to make sure you meet the pre-requisite and are eligible to register for the class.
  • Don’t panic if you don’t get everything you want. Most likely classes will be offered again another term.
  • Be wary of registration errors. Calling the department can easily solve the problem and help you figure out why there was an error.
  • Be flexible!

Do you have any secret registration tips? Let us know if this was helpful to you. Happy Registration!

Rachel is a Junior at the University of Oregon studying Journalism, Advertising, and English. She is on the writing team for HCO. She aspires to become an editor of a fashion magazine, a food writer, or creative strategist at an advertising firm. Rachel has always loved the freedom of writing and loves all things creative, makeup, fashion, food and Art History. When not studying for school, she enjoys the beach, traveling, dancing, and eating Nutella.