Red Carpet Trend: Fitted Halter Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

In the midst of award show seasons, the 2013 Oscars were impressive for many reasons, but I don’t know what I loved more—the homage to musical theatre, featured performances by Catherine Zeta-Jones from Chicago, Jennifer Hudson from Dream Girls, and the cast of Les Misérables, or the red carpet looks. Every awards season celebrities introduce different trends that can be a hit or miss, and I spotted one that I found to be a definite hit: fitted halter dresses.

First of all, Amanda Seyfried definitely won best dressed in my book. Her beautifully detailed metallic Alexander McQueen gown made my jaw drop. The color looked phenomenal with her skin tone, and her up-do accentuated the neckline perfectly. This was the dress that caught my attention and started my newly found infatuation with halter dresses. Now I am dreaming a dream that halter dresses will become the new big thing.

Although Stacy Keibler attended the event solely because of George Clooney, she didn’t look like one of those significant others that just blended in. Keibler was beyond stunning in her Naeem Khan gown. This fitted halter dress was glittering and metallic all over, with a black band that cinched in her waist to create a more curvaceous figure. And the back of the dress was gorgeous, as well! She went simple with the accessories (a dark metallic bracelet and earrings) which made the dress stand out even more. George is a lucky man.

Nina Dobrev may not have attended the red carpet for the Oscars, but she waltzed down the red carpet at Elton John’s AIDS Foundation viewing party, which was close enough for me. Featuring a plunging v-cut back, fit and flare shape, and black and white print (which is appropriate for spring trends), Dobrev’s look beat out half of the stars that attended the night’s actual red carpet. With dangling earrings and a sparkling Swarovski clutch, her look stood out without being over the top. And Naeem Khan designed this dress as well! Where was his award for the night?

Overall, I can see this trend going far for the rest of the season, and with women around the world. Although I always thought of a halter cut being something from the ‘90s, designers have modernized the look by using trendy hues (metallic and black and white) and flattering cuts. I can’t wait to see what halter dresses dominate the red carpet next!

Rachell Brown is a sophomore at the University of Oregon studying journalism. Eventually, she would love to pursue a career in the fashion industry as either a magazine editor, columnist, or stylist. Born and raised on the Central Oregon Coast, Rachell hopes to leave her small town behind and move to New York City after graduation. In her free time, she enjoys crafting, running, her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, and Tumblr. htttp://www.cosmic-allure.tumblr.com http://www.twitter.com/rachellabrown
The official Her Campus Oregon account