This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I have been reading this book for a class called “A More Beautiful Question,” by Warren Berger to class and as I read a new chapter I keep thinking about the idea of questioning. I would not describe myself as the most inquisitive person in the world, but i admire people who are so inquisitive because they seem so knowledgeable. These are also the people in my life that know so much about me. I aspire to be someone that has these deep-rooted relationships where I know so much about the people in my life because I asked. I think that growing up I almost felt embarrassed to ask questions. I always thought that if I asked questions and people saw me as inquisitive it would make me look less intelligent and weak. I think I trained myself growing up to stop questioning things. That life just is the way that it is and I cannot find out the answers so stop trying. I also was someone who never wanted to have the wrong answer. Sometimes it is better to not say than say something wrong. I know that I am not the only one that feels this way. I know a lot of people feel this way. In the novel, it talks about how businesses and people tend to not ask questions in fear of not having the right questions or needing to already know the answers. In our society, I feel like we as people want and expect to be superman. We have to be able to know and do it all. We also look up to people that we think have it or know it all. The thing is ever since reading this book I have been wondering why am I not asking questions? What is it going to take to be more inquisitive? Questioning is a skill and like any skill it takes practice. I learned that I trained myself out of being an inquisitive person. I have let other people’s answers stop me from questioning because I just assume people have the answers. Questioning leads to learning and learning leads to growing. Ever since college, I realized how much I like learning and feeding my brain new information. So I am challenging myself for the year to be more inquisitive, to not be afraid to ask questions. The more that I ask the more I learn and I want to always be learning. So I challenge you to ask questions and learn as much as you can. Wonder and question everything.

Alyssa Arcos

Oregon '21

Hi! I am Alyssa, my friends call me lyss. I was born and raised in Southern California and go to Disneyland way too often. I am a junior at the University of Oregon majoring in public relations and advertising. I am really passionate about educating others on sexual assault and how to have healthy and consensual relationships. I love all things beauty, fashion, entertainment and travel. I am a VS PINK campus representative. I hope to one day make a difference and inspire young girls, I don't know how but I know I will. I love getting to express my thoughts and share my life experiences.