This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

So it’s not like the world went totally normal again, but there was a little bit of life and civilization. With cases rising, it seems the best thing right now to close up and stay home…again. First off COVID-19 beliefs and conspiracies aside, we have to be able to address the issue that life just has to be on pause for a while and be empathetic to families affected and all essential and healthcare workers right now. 

As we went through this once already, we should be pros, right? You would think so, but even as restrictions started lifting, there are more people going out, hanging out in large groups, and even partying. But if you think that these restrictions being put in place again are going to drastically change your life, then maybe it’s time to look at yourself and your actions and see that whatever is drastically changing, is a part of the reason for it again. But you may have noticed the difference in attitudes towards quarantine life. During the last restricted quarantine, people were going on walks, eating smoothie bowls, chilling in the sun in their backyards, and knitting, or so it seemed on social media. But for round two, it’s cold and dark so early in the day. So here are some pretty realistic ways to stay sane and safe!

1. Make some extra cash!

The more I’ve been scrolling through TikTok, plus my hours being cut, I keep seeing simple side hustles. And I don’t mean starting an OnlyFans, but if that’s you then go off and do it! I just signed up to be a dasher for DoorDash which now is a great time! People are ordering takeout/delivery so much more now plus you have to deliver contactless anyway. If you’re cleaning out your closet, go ahead and Poshmark some things or just directly sell-off of your Instagram to grab some extra cash off items you used to love so that others can as well. So many of my friends who are artsy have begun selling or commissioning items that they handmake.

2. Fitness or no fitness, it’s cool!

Honestly, I feel like there was this misconception that all of us we’re all supposed to get super toned or lose weight or whatever your goal was during the quarantine. With gyms closed and TikTok and Youtube workout routines, everyone seems like they are getting results in just a few weeks. Which is insane and absolutely not realistic! Don’t feel pressured to all of a sudden obtain your dream body, progress takes time and consistency, but if you miss a day or “cheat” by having a cookie, it’s okay. 

3. Self-care, self-care, and self-care!

There is no pressure toward how you should, look, act, or feel. Everyone is just trying to get through it the best that they can. Take this time to just be one with yourself and reintroduce yourself. While yes face masks and candles are a good start, maybe it’s time to get deep into self-reflection. It’s always easier said than done to just suggest to take up journaling or drawing. But a good start might just to write a sentence a day about how you’re doing. Or whatever puts a smile on your face whether it’s cooking, hiking or even a good deep room cleanse!

It’s fair to say that it’ll be a long while before we ever get back to “normal,” but we shouldn’t let that overcome us. Yes, you should listen to restrictions and safety regulations, but also check up on your friends and families. As the holidays get closer, it’s hard to imagine a reality where you can’t get everyone you love together and as cliche, as it is, we have social media for a reason. While it may not be the same, the most important thing to remember that in this time, even with the use of FaceTime and Zoom, you have people that are there for you. 

Hi there! I'm Geralline, or some people call me Ger for short. I am a junior at the University of Oregon studying public relations. I love all things vintage-inspired, plants, beauty, and any excuse for grabbing a coffee with a friend. I currently work at a local coffee shop in my hometown and have been obsessed with experimenting with new drinks. I am so excited to be a part of such an empowering community of women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account