Passion Pit and Matt & Kim Bring Down the House at UO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

When Passion Pit visited the UO campus, bringing along Matt & Kim for the ride, students knew it would be far from an average Monday. The night’s concert was held at Matt Knight Arena, with a sold out show and floor for students lucky enough to jump on the presale.  Icona Pop opened, an electro-pop duo of two best friends from Sweden, Aino Jawo and Caroline Hjelt. Concluding their energetic set with the popular track “I Love It,” the floor began to fill up and the crowd pushed closer to the stage, as security tightened up around the stairs.

Once the lights darkened and the dynamic couple Matt and Kim ascended to their respective instruments, a keyboard and drum set, screams erupted across the audience. Known for their incredible energy during their shows, Matt & Kim started a party of their own by bumping short sequences of DJ Kool’s classic “Let Me Clear My Throat” and Bauer’s sensational “Harlem Shake” between their own songs. The crowd became an ocean of jumping and dancing as an animated Matt shouted out to Eugene and University of Oregon, while Kim stood on top of her drum set, waving her hands in the air. The duo concluded their crazy set with their irresistible hit “Daylight,” with the audience belting out the lyrics. I had the chance to meet Kim after the concert while she was signing, and she gave me the biggest hug I think I’ve ever received from a musician. She was incredibly friendly and energetic, making time to chat with all those that came to her. Earlier in the day, Matt and Kim were even spotted wandering the campus; Kim wrote on their Facebook that the couple was “looking for where the bad kids hang out!” It isn’t often that you meet a band with such liveliness and great personality.

During Passion Pit’s set, the area above the stage was decorated with colorful light projected on circles that moved up and down and changed colors during the music. During the song “Take a Walk,” the sky flooded with thousands of bubbles; “Yea, we have bubbles,” said lead singer Michae Angelakos, casually. The band, also composed of Ian Hultquist, Nate Danmoyer, Jeff Apruzzese, and Xander Singh, released its latest acclaimed album, Gossamer, this past summer. They wrapped up the show with their famous “Sleepyhead,” which I was lucky enough to watch from someone’s shoulders. From up there, it was amazing to see everyone dancing and chanting the lyrics, even a few people crowd surfing; the room was filled with the most incredible energy. The whole experience felt surreal, especially on a Monday. Each band played extremely well and truly gave the University of Oregon a show of a lifetime. Most students would agree that it was an unforgettable night, although going back to school Tuesday would prove challenging.  Upcoming shows at the Matt Knight Arena feature Macklemore and the Dalai Lama. Don’t miss out again; jump on the student presales at goducks.com!

Photo by Todd Schreiber

Heather is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in advertising. An aspiring copywriter, her dream job would be screenwriting for TV, but for the meantime she works as an office assistant, ad director for Envision magazine, freelance graphic designer, and her favorite, campus correspondent at Her Campus Oregon. She hails from Lake Oswego, Oregon, and loves the quirky side of Oregon: its unique people, unpredictable weather, and amazing music scene. She's a cat lover, avid black coffee drinker, and TV and movie addict.
The official Her Campus Oregon account