Panic About Panic Attacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

When you first started college, you were a little stressed, weren’t you? Well it’s no wonder! In high school a passing grade was a D, there was way less pressure to be sexually active, and you didn’t have to pay for your classes, much less your textbooks. Add to that the stress of working a part time or even full time job, any campus club responsibilities you have, and whether or not you have a child to care for and you’ve got a recipe for high stress levels. If you don’t manage stress well, it builds up over time and could lead to a panic attack.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 2.4 million Americans have some type of panic disorder. Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health problem in adults and unfortunately, if you’re a college student, I have some unsettling news for you: about 75 percent of college students will have their first panic episode by the time they’re 22. Panic attack symptoms also seem to affect women twice as often as men, although it is unknown why. (We may get the short end of the stick, but that’s why we’re tough!)

There are several different causes for panic attacks. Pent up anxiety over some event that will happen or even may have already happened, dehydration, an imbalance in vitamin levels, shock, etc. The good thing is, the better in tune you are with your body, the easier it will be to prevent these attacks from occurring.

If you’ve already had a panic attack, you know how it goes. You may feel fine one minute, and the next you’re light-headed, having trouble breathing, feeling warm and sweaty (even though it may be cold outside), and you have to sit down until things stop moving. If you happen to be in a public place, this experience can be pretty embarrassing and, duh, scary. But there are some things you can do to make sure you have a lesser chance of having an attack, or to just make sure you’re prepared if you ever do have one.

Prevention
Breathing techniques – learn to control your breathing. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Also, counting slowly to 10 helps.

Yoga – whether you take a class or you do this at home, take a few minutes out of your day to clear your mind and “center,” clearing away everything that will happen/has happened that day.

Vitamins – Vit B is known for tackling stress and calming nerves as is St. John’s Wort.
Magnesium, which is technically a supplement, has also been known to relax tensed or spastic muscles

Limit alcohol and caffeine intake – both have the potential to really influence levels of adrenaline and lactic acid in the blood. If your lactic acid levels are high, the body can release too much adrenaline, leading to heightened feelings of anxiety and therefore a panic attack

What to Do When You Have a Panic Attack

1. Don’t overreact.
I know this one may be a little hard to follow, but seriously, if you panic even more instead of trying to calm yourself down, it’ll only make things worse.
2. If you’re not sitting down, do so.
Standing and feeling faint is not a good combination. Try to find a nearby bench, couch, patch of grass, whatever.
3. Breathe.
Take slow, deep breaths and try to either focus on something still or close your eyes, whichever is more comfortable. Putting your head between your legs can also help.
4. Remind yourself you’re okay.
Even if you don’t feel fine at the moment, thinking positive and calming thoughts will trick your mind into relaxing. Think “I will get through this,” or “This will only last a few minutes.”
5. Drink water.
Hyperventilating can dehydrate the body and replenishing fluids quickly is important.
6. Call your doctor.
Once your attack subsides and you’re feeling back to normal, remember to call your doctor. They can keep track of your attacks and details (like where you were, what you were doing, etc) that may help you in the future to pinpoint what triggers them.

Some people find therapy a good resource, too. If there’s an underlying issue (like a recent death in the family, etc), a therapist can help you narrow down what may be bothering you and therefore causing your body to act out. Also, sometimes panic attacks are a sign of low blood sugar levels, better known as hypoglycemia, which can have similar symptoms as a panic attack… but to be sure, you should see your doctor.

Sources:
http://www.panicattackneedtoknow.com/sugar-caffeine-and-alcohol-their-part-in-panic-attacks/

http://www.thedailymind.com/stress/dealing-with-panic-how-to-calm-down-during-a-panic-attack/

Photos:
blackdogtribe.com
panicattacksymptoms101.com
– – –

Serena Piper will always consider herself a Southern belle, but for now she is a senior majoring in Magazine Journalism. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oregon, she is a freelance blogger at BookRenter.com. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, go shopping with friends, and indulge in True Blood. She has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic or a travel magazine. She wouldn’t mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert’s in Eat, Pray, Love. Follow her on Twitter!

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter