The Oscars 2015: Let’s Take a Look at Our Contenders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

With the new year comes resolutions, big-time football games, and overall changes in our lives. Most importantly, however, it means Red Carpet season is upon us once again. 

Award shows seem to be on television for multiple weekends, back-to-back, starting in January and lasting until the end of February. Originating nearly 90 years ago, the Oscars has been one of the most ancipated events of the year. Whether you’re looking forward to the incredible couture gowns and suits (like me) or you’re eager to see how the year’s host of the show does (this year, it’s Neil Patrick Harris) or even if you’re actually into watching the show for the awards (like my parents), this is the most honorable award show of them all. We forget to put into perspective the significance of winning such a prestigious award. For some of these actors and actresses, directors and screenwriters, winning an Academy Award is their dream for the new year, and will eventually bring about huge changes in their lives. 

Before you sit down for four solid hours of awards after awards being passed out for movies you probably haven’t seen, expand your movie knowledge! Here are the nominees:

BEST PICTURE                                             BEST DIRECTOR

American Sniper                                           Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Birdman)

Birdman                                                        Richard Linklater (Boyhood)

Boyhood                                                        Bennett Miller (Foxcatcher)

The Grand Budapest Hotel                           Wes Anderson (The Grand Budapest Hotel)

The Imitation Game                                      Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game)

Selma

The Theory of Everything

Whiplash

BEST ACTRESS                                                         BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS       

Marion Cotillard (Two Days, One Night)                 Patricia Arquetter (Boyhood)

Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything)                Lauren Dern (Wild)

Julianne Moore (Still Alice)                                      Emma Stone (Birdman)

Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl)                                     Meryl Streep (Into the Woods)

Reese Witherspoon  (Wild)

BEST ACTOR                                                                     BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Steve Carrell (Foxcatcher)                                                    Robert Duvall (The Judge)                      

Bradley Cooper (American Sniper)                                      Ethan Hawke (Boyhood)

Benedict Cumberback (The Imitation Game)                       Edward Norton (Birdman)

Michael Keaton (Birdman)                                                   Mark Ruffalo (Foxcatcher)

Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything)                      J.K. Simmons (Whiplash)

Now that you have an idea of the key nominations, take a look at the list of who critics think will win as opposed to who I think will win! I mean, my reasoning is pretty tough to dispute…

BEST PICTURE

Critics’ Choice: Boyhood

My Choice: American Sniper (Because I love Bradley Cooper).

BEST DIRECTOR

Critics’ Choice: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu – Birdman

My Choice: Bennett Miller – Foxcatcher (Also Channing Tatum is in this movie!)

BEST ACTOR

Critics’ Choice: Michael Keaton – Birdman

My Choice: Bradley Cooper – American Sniper (Because Bradley Cooper.  And it was a great and honorable movie.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Critics’ Choice: J.K. Simmons – Whiplash

My Choice: Mark Ruffalo – “Foxcatcher” (Ever seen 13 Going on 30? He should have won an Oscar for his role in that movie!) 

BEST ACTRESS

Critics’ Choice: Julianne Moore – Still Alice

My Choice: Rosamund Pike – Gone Girl (Because her performance in this movie was simply marvelous. Trust me.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Critics’ Choice: Patricia Arquette – Boyhood

My Choice: Emma Stone- Birdman (Also she has the best red carpet style.)

So now that you know a little more about the Oscars going into the awards show than you did last year, get some friends together to watch. Place some bets, and cheers to the winners. Enjoy!

Full-time student at the University of Oregon expected to graduate from the School of Journalism and Communications in 2016. Majoring in Public Relations. I currently serve as the Chapter President of the UO Public Relations Student Society of America for the 2015-2016 school year and am a writer/photographer for Her Campus Oregon. Passionate for fashion, event production, and photography. Experienced in leadership, team management, and organization.
The official Her Campus Oregon account