This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I do not know how often I come across articles online about severed friendships. However, they all seem to have a common connection in that if the time and place were different and circumstances changed, they would enjoy the company of that friend again.

I think everyone can relate to me when I say that I have lost many friends along the way of my journey throughout life. Whether they were toxic, bad people, or just not in the same circle of friends anymore, losing people close will never be easy. However, there are certain people in my life that I can confidently say that I am happy they are not in my life anymore, and here is why.

I have reached the point in my life that I take each day with a grain of salt and I appreciate the ones that matter to me most. I understand that many of my friends throughout my childhood were meant to only be there for a short period. Whether or not I was okay with ending my friendship with them at the time, I believe that it was ultimately the best for me to grow into the person I want to become in the future.

I do not feel the need in being bitter towards those people anymore and I feel no remorse in ending my friendship with them, I simply appreciate them for the kindness they have given me while we were friends, and I have no reason to bring back up old memories and feelings from the past.

There are friends that I have gone through hell and back with, friends that I thought I would take a bullet for and then I came to realize that I should not have to do that to them because they would not do it for me. We all come from different backgrounds and different cultures, and it shows in our personalities, the way we treat people, and how we live our day-to-day lives.

Most of my childhood, the friendships that ended were for the best. I used to build up anger and animosity toward them or towards the thought of them, but as I grow older, I realize that ultimately having those feelings will only be detrimental to me. Once I allowed myself to let go of that anger, that sadness in ending a friendship, I was able to focus my energy on the ones who have made it to this next chapter with me.

I have cut people out of my life because I believe that I deserve to have friendships and memories with people who not only better me as a person, but make me want to be a better person because of how much I value their friendships.

Instead of relishing on the past and the memories I have lost, I am choosing to live in the moment and let myself make memories with the people in my life who deserve it. I deserve it.

Some friendships are meant to come and go, but unless there is a very good reason for bringing someone back into your life, close that door and do not let the ones who have wronged you back.

I owe it to myself to be happy. I owe it to my friends to be a good person. Not only to them, but also to all the other people who have surrounded me.

To the friends that got away, I do not hate you. It never really was about that. There is a reason we were friends to begin with, there is a reason that our paths crossed during this lifetime. Thank you for coming into my life and showing me a different perspective than anyone else could. Thank you for helping shape the person that I am today, and Thank you for finally setting me free so I can live up to my full potential and be the person that I know in my heart that I deserve to be.

Dear friends, we may not be apart of each other’s lives anymore, but I think for all of us, that might not be such a bad thing.

My name is Chandler Baker, a senior at the University of Oregon. I am a public relations major and expect to graduate in June 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts from the School of Journalism and Communication. I am addicted to caffeine, concerts, and the outdoors.
The official Her Campus Oregon account