This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Moving my life online has not been an easy transition. I’ve never been the biggest fan of online classes and having never had an online college class before, I was nervous, to say the least. Not to mention, with classes all online, not everyone is living near campus anymore. How are you supposed to meet people? Awkward zoom breakout rooms are not always the place. And how can you feel like you’re apart of campus life, even when your miles away? This is something I’ve personally wrestled with, and I’m still learning, but so is everyone else.

Find A Community Through Clubs and Greek Life

Joining a club is an amazing way to make connections and meet potential new best friends. Not only that, but it’s also an opportunity for you to do something you care about. The University of Oregon offers a variety of clubs and most likely has something for your major. From the new club “Aspiring Educators” to the “Outdoor Program” to “Women In Business” and much more, there’s probably something for you in the mix. These clubs, even if they’re online, are great ways to build connections. And of course, Greek life can be a great way to meet more people!

Don’t be Afraid to Seek Help

This is a strange time, and life has changed for many college students. If you are anything like me, change can be difficult to adapt to, and there’s nothing wrong with wanting to talk to someone about it. The University of Oregon offers a variety of counseling services to students. Up until this year, I’ve never taken advantage of it. The University of Oregon offers both individual therapy sessions, as well as group sessions. This can be a great way to gain self-awareness and insight into why you may be feeling the way you do. And its place to set goals that will help you adapt to this time of online classes.

I would encourage not only freshman but college students of all grade levels who may be struggling to adapt to the changes happening in their life, to find a community of their own, and to try at least one counseling session. Human connection is vital during this time, even though it feels a lot harder to achieve. Finding a club or organization that you connect with can remind you that you aren’t alone. And counseling services are extended to and for everyone. There’s nothing wrong with needing help.

Alanna Uding

Oregon '22

Hi I'm Alanna! I'm from Portland Oregon and I'm currently a senior at University of Oregon with a major in Education and a minor in English. I love going on hikes, runs, trying new coffee shops and in my free time, writing. I'm excited to contribute to a creative space focused on empowering women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account