Masturbation Myths 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

According to Planned Parenthood, at any given moment, 797, 151 Americans are masturbating.
In fact, most people masturbate. For men, it’s expected and often talked about. But in the female world, it’s considered taboo and shameful. The truth is, it’s common and natural for both sexes to masturbate. But, just in case you’re still feeling iffy, let’s clear up some myths:

Myth #1: The only people who masturbate are those not in relationships or people without a consistent sex partner.
So false! Actually, people with who have regular partners are more likely to masturbate than those without. Masturbation relaxes you, relieves sexual tension, and it’s open to anyone – single or taken!

Myth #2: Masturbation can lead to blindness, stunted growth, and infertility.
Besides skin irritation, masturbation poses no health risks. 

Myth #3: Masturbating during your menstrual cycle is unhealthy and unsafe.
Completely opposite! Some women say masturbating during menstruation relieves cramps.

Myth #4: Masturbation is embarrassing and shameful.
Like I said, it’s completely normal and way more common than you think. Don’t feel guilty about being comfortable with your sexuality.

Myth #5: Masturbating too much, or at all, can reduce or eliminate your ability to orgasm during sex.
On the contrary… Masturbation allows you to become in touch with your body and learn what makes you tick. 

Just for kicks and giggles, let’s also explore some misconceptions that us females know aren’t true but men actually think are legitimate:

Myth #1: We stand in front of mirrors or windows when we masturbate.
Yeah, no. Watching myself does not turn me on. Nor does the idea of some stranger watching me through the window.

Myth #2: We always do it in lingerie. 
Honestly, I’m usually in my pajamas about to go to bed.

Myth #3: We stick strange foreign objects in our vaginas.
Masturbating with cucumbers or hairbrush handles? Not so much.

Source: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/info-for-teens/sex-masturbation/myths-facts-about-masturbation-33824.htm

The official Her Campus Oregon account