string art kit?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
string art kit?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Amazon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

During quarantine I found myself looking for new hobbies; and wondering what I really liked to do other than just school. Since then, I’ve been looking to add new hobbies and interests to my list. Specifically, creative hobbies that force me to access the more artistic side of myself. With online classes, you may find yourself with a little extra time, and with winter break coming up you may want something to occupy your time. Here are three ideas of creative hobbies to try your hand at!

Embroidery

This is something I’ve just recently attempted, and something that’s definitely becoming the new rage. Whether it’s embroidering a tote bag or personalizing a coin purse with a little embroidery patch, there’s so much you can do with this one. Plus, it’s a lot easier than you might imagine. I started by purchasing a 7 dollar embroidery starter kit from Amazon. Cheap, with easy to follow directions, it’s been the perfect beginner kit for me.

Blogging

Have a lot to say, or looking for an outlet for all the recipes you’ve trying lately? Blogging is a great way to showcase something your good at or care about. Since I started baking a lot more in the past six months (than ever before), I decided to start an Instagram and blog page dedicated to my experimental recipes. It’s been a great way for me to remember which recipes worked, and then have them written down somewhere permanently.

Bullet Journaling

This has been an incredibly helpful way for me to deal with the messiness of my brain. Bullet journaling gives you more creative liberty than your average planner, and you can do just about anything with it. It’s a great place to paint, doodle, plan your life and just be creative in general. Plus there’s so much Pinterest inspiration for decorating your bullet journal.

Find a hobby that uses the creative side of your brain; it’s a fulfilling and satisfying venture!

Alanna Uding

Oregon '22

Hi I'm Alanna! I'm from Portland Oregon and I'm currently a senior at University of Oregon with a major in Education and a minor in English. I love going on hikes, runs, trying new coffee shops and in my free time, writing. I'm excited to contribute to a creative space focused on empowering women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account