This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I LOVE makeup and I could spend endless hours in Sephora trying on all the #newnew. That being said, I also follow many different makeup brands on social media (Insta mainly). It’s easier for me to keep up with the new products and trends and can get excited about another inevitable Sephora visit. Well, I have to say that I’ve noticed a trend in makeup which I’m sure you’ve all seen, too. These magic color-changing, ultra-moisturizing lip balms. These lip balms were created many years ago by none other than the amazing brand Dior. According to The Cut online publication author Shannon Barbour:

“Dior’s original Lip Glow formula has been around since 2009 and the company boasts that one tube is sold every three seconds (there goes another one!). Each of the new Lip Glow products contains Dior’s Color Reviver technology, which creates a custom color based on your lips’ pH levels.”

What makes these lip balms so unique is that they are personalized to each person who wears them. As being an owner of three of the ten available colors of this exact product, I can honestly attest that these #lipglows are amazing. They really do change its color and tint as you put them on day-to-day. It’s kind of fun not knowing exactly what shade you’ll be wearing, almost like a mood ring for your lips. They also glide on feeling very soft and smooth and keep my lips hydrated for hours, almost like a chapstick but way better. What’s interesting is that the Dior Lip Glow has been around for almost ten years, and suddenly other cosmetic brands are catching onto this amazing idea. And maybe it’s just me, but it kind of feels like a #copycat of what Dior made. Dior describes them as, “A FLUSH OF CUSTOM PINK THAT SUITS TO EACH SKINTONE.”

These other brands are putting their own spin on their version of the same exact product by simply changing its outward appearance. But that seems to be all. Last year, MAC cosmetics came out with its own version called Mac Tendertalk. This version comes in five great colors and is described as, “A smart lip conditioner that creates your own personalized tint based on your body chemistry,” as seen on the MAC website. The MAC Tendertalk looks and sounds almost identical to the Dior Lip Glow.

But this week there was a turn of events as Too Faced stepped up to the plate when they released the La Creme Mystical Lipstick. These new lipsticks for the brand are also highly moisturizing and change colors as it was revealed on Instagram on February 7th 2018. Sephora described the new Too Faced lipstick as, “mystical creamy color that changes with your own unique body chemistry.” These replica lipsticks will be available starting February 18th.

I have been a committed consumer of these Dior Lip Glows for years, and I find it interesting to see how other brands try and put their own twist on a similar product. I am slightly biased because I love the OG #lipglow. I feel obligated to shine a light on them so others don’t forget who started all this color-changing love! I am skeptical but never afraid of change, and who doesn’t love trying out new makeup? I will be trying out each brands’ version of the Lip Glow, and I HIGHLY recommend you try them, too!

Hi there! I'm glad you made it to my page! My name is Gillian George, and I am a junior/incoming senior at the University of Oregon. I am currently getting into the Advertising program of the Journalism Major and have a minor of business. Writing and photography are my two biggest passions in life, I have been taking portriats for  a few years now and I am trying to create a small business out of it! I love talking to people and helping people with any sort of situation. I grew up surrounded by my family who all work in the medical field, and I enjoy educating people on womens health so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! I also love food, traveling, and a good mystery television show or movie!
The official Her Campus Oregon account