freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Spend Valentines Day Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Whether you’re newly single or have been riding solo for a while, when February rolls around and you start seeing red and pink everywhere you go, your heart can start racing. Valentines Day is always presumed to only be about couples in love and spending time with a special someone. What many girls don’t realize is that Valentines Day can be one of the best holidays to be single and pamper yourself.

Instead of wallowing in your singleness, gather your other single girlfriends and spend the evening with each other. That could mean having a nice meal, heading to the movies and watching that horror flick you’ve been dying to see, or talking about terrible past dates and finishing a bottle of wine  (or 2…) together. Either way, spending the time with the friends you love is a great way to spend the dreaded v-day. 

“Every Valentines Day I’ve had to spend away from home and single I’ve gotten all my single girlfriends together and we’ve had a great time. After some relaxation and a few drinks the laughs really start rolling in. It’s nights like these where we’re able really see why we all love each other. There’s no need for boys at these get-togethers!” –Shelby, U of O Senior.

Mid-winter can be a time when homesickness strikes the hardest. When you’re feeling down around Valentines Day schedule an hour out of your day to talk to your mom or dad or brother or sister, hopefully before they have plans of their own. When school gets hectic and you start to stress out, you forget to remind those that you love how important they are to you. To celebrate the season of love, remind your family how much each of them means to you. If you’re feeling extra loving, take some time the week before and write Valentines Day cards for each of them. There’s nothing better than receiving a handwritten letter in the mail to remind you that you’re special.

There is never anything wrong with spending an evening relaxing and pampering yourself. Give yourself a pedicure. Do a facial mask. Take a bath. Blow off your class reading and read a juicy novel instead. Make that delicious satisfying meal you’ve been drooling over on Pinterest. Make today all about you and everything that makes you happy.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be about boyfriends and romantic gestures, it can just be about being with the ones you love, be that friends, family, or just a good night pampering yourself. You’ll never have a better Valentines Day than the ones you spend with good company, and you don’t need boys to do that. 

Maggie is a senior at the University of Oregon pursuing a degree in Public Relations and Communications through the School of Journalism. She enjoys hanging out with her friends, laying by the pool or on the beach, and traveling. Her favorite city in the world is Paris and she hopes to go back after graduation. Follow her on twitter at @mahilty
The official Her Campus Oregon account