How to Look Your Best in Any Photo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words…so don’t use them on explaining why you don’t look your best in that one. Summer is the time when you’ll be taking pictures to capture every beautiful moment
of your vacations, hang outs and all other fun times you’ll be having. Since these days just about every
photo you take will be posted, published and seen by the world, you want to make sure you look your
best in every one of them. Here are some tips for how to always be camera ready and picture perfect!

Always Be Smiling
There’s a reason that paparazzi make so much money on celebs when they’re not smiling in a candid
picture. Get a bad picture of them and they can say anything they want (yep, they stop smiling for a
second and all of a sudden there’s drama)! This summer, when you’re doing anything fun or exciting
(especially if there’s a camera around) be sure to live in the moment and keep smiling and laughing. Not
only does this make others respond with smiles and laughs but even if you’re not aware that a photo is
being taken, if you’re smiling then no matter what you’re going to get a great picture. Oh, and also be
sure not to pick your wedgie… even if you’re smiling, it is not cute!

Be Genuine
There’s a reason that a phony picture is almost worse than a bad candid picture. Duck lips, awkward
smiles, sexy faces and pretending to be drunk, all go under the phony picture category. Of course, this
doesn’t mean you can’t pose for a picture! Let out your inner model but be sure to be genuine to the
situation. If you’re happy you’re with friends, think about that moment and show your pearly
whites! If you guys are in the middle of a giggle fit, put on a goofy grin and let someone capture that.
People can tell when something isn’t real (even without photoshop) so save the awkwardness for a first
date and let your inner light shine!

Know Your Strong Features
Let’s be honest, even models know what to play up and what to hide. And you should too! If you have
a great smile, show it! If you have beautiful eyes, open them! If your skin is looking especially good that day, go for a close up! We all have our features that we like about ourselves, so show them off! There’s
no need to stress about a picture that you hate because of a feature you’re self conscious about, it will
ruin the entire memory of the picture. Choose what you want to show off and then base your pose,
background or expression around that. If you do have control over it, try to take more than one and
then you can pick out the ones you like best. You’ll be able to look back on those times and smile about
how great the memories were…and how hot you are!

– – – –

Sarah Felix is a senior at the University of Oregon, graduating in June. She is a double major in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Communications. She also has received her Oregon Esthetician’s License and currently in the process of obtaining her Oregon Medical Esthetician’s License. She loves fashion, beauty and anything that makes her laugh. She’s a permanent Duck fan that “Lives GREEN and yells O!”

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter