How to Fill Your Time this Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Our winter break is way too long. Four weeks off to go home and live with your mom telling you to unload the dishwasher everyday and your sister leaving water all over the bathroom floor just doesn’t sit right after going away to college. Here’s some ideas of what to fill your time with:

1. Travel and visit friends:

Maybe the best perk about being in college is that you have friends all over the country. Over break you can road trip to go visit them and get a change in scenery.

2. Make an effort to see your friends from home:

If you think you’re going to have to be stuck at home, or if you’re only going home for a little while, make an effort to see friends. It’s so easy to get lost in a routine of not making an effort to see people, but once you do it will ease boredom and you’ll probably go do something new.

3. Do something you wouldn’t normally do at home: 

Last winter break I went sledding and it was refreshing to get out of the city and into some fresh air to enjoy an adrenaline rush.

4. Make an effort to get out:

Even if its pouring rain and all you want to do is lay in bed for the third day in a row try to find some motivation to get up and dressed. It helps you be more productive and odds that you actually end up doing something enjoyable are higher.

5. Work on your hobbies:

If you love art, make a project! If you love website design, make a portfolio! If you don’t have a hobby, do a little research and find something that sounds interesting to you.

6. Take the time to apply for internships:

Winter break is the perfect time to start looking around for what you might be interested in professionally. There are so many amazing opportunities out there its just all about knowing where to look and being willing and able to put yourself out there.

7. Try a new diet:

One summer I took the Whole 30 challenge, which is pretty much paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free for 30 days. It was miserable and I quit after 13 days but it gave me something to focus on for the time being and I learned that I really am addicted to sugar.

8. Sign up for a gym and take advantage of the free classes:

A lot of times gyms have monthly subscriptions. Sign up for a month and TAKE ADVANTAGE. There’s so many fun classes to try and if you made it a point to go everyday for one hour you’d probably come back to school in the best shape of your life.

9. Volunteer:

When I find I have too much excess time on my hands I love volunteering at animal shelters. I find it rewarding and I get my puppy time quota met.

10. Read a book:

I just got into reading last summer and oh my I can’t get enough now. I’m not into fiction so it took me a long time to find books I liked but once I did I couldn’t get enough. My suggestion is to go to Barnes and Noble’s and ask someone for help about what they think you’d like, they gave me a ton of suggestions and I haven’t been let down since.

I am a junior at the University of Oregon. Majoring in Public Relations. Let me pet your dog.
The official Her Campus Oregon account