How to Fight the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As current residents and students in Eugene, Oregon, we can all relate to the feelings that develop during winter term. Constant rain, dark skies, and schoolwork aren’t the best mix for maintaining optimism. Longing for sunlight and sidewalks that aren’t damp, we seem to be constantly fighting those winter blues. Here are a few ways to keep your spirits high and maintain that fun-loving and positive outlook throughout winter term. 

• Keep busy. Carrying a healthy workload and/or maintaining a routine are perfect ways to preoccupy your mind. This helps redirect thoughts and therefore people are less likely to become dispirited by winter’s cold and gloomy, dark days.  
  • Find a hobby. Physician Alexander Kumar spent nine months in Antarctica studying how astronauts might one day bear a trip to Mars. He says, “Creativity releases the mind from its constriction.” So in your spare time, pick a hobby whether it may be playing a sport, working on arts & crafts, cooking a new recipe, blogging or redecorating your bedroom. These tools can help get you out of that winter funk.
  • Be a people person. Spending too much time alone will only enhance the winter blues. Find opportunities to gather people for regular movie or game nights, sports games, bonfires and/or nail painting and wine parties. Laughter should be a regular and prominent part of your diet.
  • Exercise regularly. Kumar regularly went outside, everyday while down south. “It keeps you moving and keeps you sane,” he said. Any exercise routine will help as laziness increases the process of mental degradation. Make time to exercise and if you can, try to make the walk over to the University of Oregon Rec Center for an opportunity to breathe in some fresh air before your workout.
Full-time student at the University of Oregon expected to graduate from the School of Journalism and Communications in 2016. Majoring in Public Relations. I currently serve as the Chapter President of the UO Public Relations Student Society of America for the 2015-2016 school year and am a writer/photographer for Her Campus Oregon. Passionate for fashion, event production, and photography. Experienced in leadership, team management, and organization.
The official Her Campus Oregon account