Wellness > Mental Health

How To Feel Successful When You’re Feeling Defeated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

We all have those days when we feel unsuccessful in life, a job, our routine, a project, etc. Whatever it may be, when we feel unaccomplished, it creates this sense of defeat. Everyone can relate to this because it is so applicable to everyday life, but you are not alone. Here are some ways to implement changes to turn a negative experience into something that you can pat yourself on the back for.

1. Embrace the challenge

Life often throws many hard moments at you and some days it hits you like a cement truck. But being able to accept the challenge and try your best is better than doing nothing at all.

2. Don’t slack on daily goals

Getting things done in a timely manner each day is something to keep in mind when you feel like you might procrastinate. Set a goal and stick to it.

3. Be creative

Allowing yourself to be innovative can spark high levels of productiveness. Whenever you have to complete a task that you are not so sure about, turn it into something more individualistic and original to you.

4. Failing is totally okay

Though people often hear that failing is normal, many need to actually believe it in order to be proud of themselves. Putting in effort and experiencing moments of failure is still natural because you can learn from every mishap. Failure teaches you to work harder and accept criticism. 

5. Don’t care about what others think of you

To be honest, most people are so wrapped up in their own lives and do not even focus on anybody else. If you do think people are judging or criticizing you, be confident in yourself and block out any toxic people.

6. Be an outlier

Stand out, be bold and don’t follow the crowd. Speak your mind and if you are the only one who feels a certain way, then embrace that. There’s nothing wrong with thinking differently.

7. Positive mind=positive actions

A positive mind sets the tone for your day. The way you approach most challenges in life will affect how well they are performed. Not everyday will be a smooth one–so being able to turn a harsh situation around is key to improving yourself and the rest of your day.

Hi! I'm Hailey. I am a senior at the Unviersity of Oregon studying Advertising. I am a workout nut and a Certified Personal Trainer at our campus REC center. In my free time you can find me outside, either hiking, biking or exercising. I am also completley obsessed with the fashion industry and will hopefully be going into Fashion Merchandising and Marketing in the near future. 
The official Her Campus Oregon account