How To Be Single for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Summer is almost here. That means it’s time for BBQs, Bikinis, and the Beach. But for some, only one thing comes to mind: Boyfriends. For many women, not having a boyfriend during the summer months can cause a panic, but in reality it should do the exact opposite to your nerves. Not being tied down during the summer can be one of the best gifts you can give yourself. Whether it’s the summer before you leave for college, your last summer before you embark into the real world, or just a regular, relaxing summer, being completely single throughout the summer months can offer endless opportunities for you.

You can do things you wouldn’t do with a boyfriend
Not having a boyfriend allows you to do things you wouldn’t normally do if you had one. Want to lay out and tan all day (using sunscreen of course!)? Do it. Want to spend all day downtown with your girlfriends going through boutiques and antique stores? Do it. Want to spend an entire lazy afternoon watching the first 4 seasons of Gossip Girl? Do it.
By not being tied down during the summer months, your time is actually all about you. So instead of fretting over not having a boy to lean on, take this opportunity to do absolutely everything you’ve wanted to do that you wouldn’t do with a boyfriend.

You can take off at any moment and not have to worry
Another great thing about being single during the summer is that you can take off whenever you want without having to check in with a boyfriend. Take this opportunity to be spontaneous. When in a relationship, girls may worry about what they’re boyfriend will think of them taking off or leaving without notice, but when you’re single you don’t have to worry about that!
Last minute trips, whether they’re just for the day, a weekend away, or a whole month vacation, are the kind of experiences you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Not having to check in with a significant other back at home allows you to spend more of your time enjoying your life.

“You’re able to do whatever you want. You don’t have to call and check in. You’re able to do anything you want any time you want.” –Alex V., University of Oregon

You can make all your own decisions, without having to worry about someone’s feelings.
By not having a boyfriend during the summer you don’t have to put anyone’s feelings above your own. You can live a guilt-free summer. Summer is a time when many girls like to step away from a lot of their regular responsibilities and be carefree. It’s easy to just live for your own wants and desires when you’re actually
just living for yourself.

“My favorite part is having no ties. I can flirt with whoever I want, kiss whoever I want, go out with whoever I want, and have no guilt!” –Shelby C., University of Oregon

While being single can be scary no matter if you’re newly single for the summer months or are used to your solo status, it’s important to just keep busy. Focus on yourself and what you want out of your months off from school. Learn to be your own, complete person without having to have a man by your side. This
is a time when you can not only get closer to your friends and family, but also get closer to yourself. Like Carrie Bradshaw always said, “Don’t forget to fall in love with yourself.”

Photos from:
http://www.australiantraveller.com/experiences/top-5-girls-road-trips
http://flirtbodylingo.com/tag/sms/

– – –

Maggie Hilty is a junior at the University of Oregon working towards a degree in Public Relations and Communication. She looks forward to traveling as much as possible after graduation, and then looking for a job in event and product promotion. Originally from Portland, OR, Maggie enjoys escaping up there when she can to be with family and friends, as well as finding any weekend she can to get to the beach. She loves being outside in the sun (when it comes out in Eugene), painting, and just getting to hang out with her friends. Follow Maggie on Twitter at @mahilty.

Maggie is a senior at the University of Oregon pursuing a degree in Public Relations and Communications through the School of Journalism. She enjoys hanging out with her friends, laying by the pool or on the beach, and traveling. Her favorite city in the world is Paris and she hopes to go back after graduation. Follow her on twitter at @mahilty
Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter