jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To Be Independent In A Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

1. Do activities together instead of doing nothing.

This creates excitement and makes you hang out when you both want to not when it is assumed. Also, take pictures so you will remember “that one day when.”

2. Make an effort to get to know his friends.

Say yes when you’re invited to do things in a group.

3. Be true to yourself.

If you don’t want to go out it doesn’t mean he can’t.

4. Don’t assume anything.

Don’t assume you’re hanging out that day. Don’t assume you’re not invited to things.

5. Listen and check-in.

If he says he doesn’t like something he’s not being dramatic. He means it. He’s his own person and you need to listen and learn and respect and love him for who he is.

6. Stop being so sensitive.

Just because he wants to be with his friends doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to be with you too. You have so many friends! You need to be happy to spend time with them too and make sure you prioritize them equally. They are just as important as the relationship and will make you a happier person.

7. Lighten up.

These are the good years. Before you work full time and have no money. Why are you not saying yes to things?

8. Love yourself.

He is an addition to your already amazing life. With him your life is full. But without him, your life is still full.

I am a junior at the University of Oregon. Majoring in Public Relations. Let me pet your dog.