Holiday Treat Tips: What to Eat & What to Stay Away From

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

With the holidays just around the corner, there are parties to attend, family dinners to enjoy, and toasts to make. As we celebrate this joyous season, it can be easy to forget about workout plans and feel our pants begin to tighten by the end of the break. But it doesn’t have to be that way. With simple planning and thinking ahead, you can enjoy delicious holiday foods without worrying about returning your new jeans for a larger size by the first of January. Moderation and planning is absolutely key! It is important to remember that it is a holiDAY, not a holiMONTH, so pick a few times to enjoy your favorite holiday treats, and the rest of the time make a decision to eat healthy.
If you know you’re going to want your grandma’s “World Best Apple Pie,” avoid eating those not-so-good stale cookies the night before. Make sense? And at holiday parties, focus on the wonderful people around you. If you engage in a truly interesting conversation, that dessert table isn’t going to be so tempting. Plus, you never know what you may learn about your quirky uncle, or the cool new job your cousin landed.

Also, hit the dance floor on New Year’s Eve! Dancing is not only fun, but also a great heart pumper and calorie burner. Before heading out to parties, it is smart to fill up on something nutritious so you’re not ravenous to eat everything in sight. Have a small bowl of oatmeal, half of a turkey sandwich, a piece of fruit, or a big green salad. While you’re at the holiday parties, make smart swaps.

Avoid alcohol in general, but if you must share a toast with friends, stick to drinks that don’t have sugar or cream. (Ahem Eggnog, Bailey’s Irish Cream, Cocktails, Margaritas, Spiced Cider).

Here is a list of holiday foods to dish up, and others to avoid.  

Yes, please:
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Candy Cane
    Champagne
    White Turkey
    Pumpkin Pie
    Sugar Cookies
    Black Coffee
    Sweet Potato
    Salted Almonds
    Sautéed Spinach
    Red Wine
    Veggie Tray
    Gingerbread Man
    Salmon
    Pumpkin Pie
    Spiced Tea
    Salsa
    Hummus

No thanks!
    Eggnog
    Brownies
    Casseroles
    Pecan Pie
    Fruit Cake
    Peanut Brittle
    Crab Cakes
    Gin & Tonic
    Hot Spinach Dip
    Prime Rib
    Ham
    Spiced Mulled Wine/Cider
    Candied Almonds
    Dressing in the Veggie Tray
    Mashed Potatoes with Gravy
    Chips
    Dips
    Anything made with a lot of: cream, cheese, butter, alcohol or syrups

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter